Just Wanted To Say Thanks !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfer, Jun 23, 2000.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I received lots of help from you guys on the short time I've been on this forum, (my $50 is on it's way to Chuck) and I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I'm a part timer, probably a scrub Mr. Stone, that wants to be full time as soon as my threshold is reached as far as time spent doing lawn work vs. my full time job. I'm following a business plan to get to that point. I'm a systems manager at a large southeastern bank (18 years). My employer is slowly hacking away at my level and my office is cold with no windows. I can't wait to get home every day so I can start my lawn work even though I usually finish up around 9:00 p.m. but I'm smiling the whole time. In my first official month in the business, I did a large clean up and mulch job, laid a drainage pipe, sprayed some bushes for mites, cut 4 yards weekly, bid on another residential, bid on a commercial, bid on several annual fertilization jobs and have a chance to get 10 model homes from the areas largest builder. Things are getting busy! I also got my turf and ornamental license this past month. I still have not sold my John Deere rider. I'm cutting with my trusty honda push. I've pretty much decided on a walkbehind when I sell it. This doesn't look like much to most of you guys but this makes me really happy and I could not have done any of it without the advice I got from so many of you. I'm 40 years old with a family and facing a career change is really scary when you've got so much ahead of you. You guys made me believe I could do it and now I know I can. Oh yea, I'm also building a deck next week after work. Does anyone do carpentry on the side ?<br>The only down side is I have tons of sweaty clothes with mulch, grass and dirt adhered to them. My wife is scared of them. I can't wait for my first full time day. I'm going to wear my best &quot;banker blue&quot; suit and wing tips and burn them at the end of the day. Thanks to all. Turfer.

2. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Turfer,<p>Sounds great! It's good to see folks who love to do this getting into the biz at any age. From your attitude and poise, I think you're going to do just fine! :)<p>-TGC<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: TGCummings

3. Greenthumb

Greenthumb Guest

I was the same way ,I still get up at 5.30 and work for someone else making him money spraying lawn in FL.I have 30 acounts now almost enouhgt to make it on my own. cant wait ,I love when 12.30-1.00 o clock roll around so I can take care of my costmers any ideas how I can genrate more

4. TGCummings

::I also got my turf and ornamental license this past month::<p>Hey Turfer, where did you get these? I've got a city business license and am researching my Applicator license, but am interested in more (knowledge!). Help teach this old guy a new trick, eh? ;)<p>-TGC

5. dhicks

dhicks Member

I'm very happy for you and wish you the very best. Perhaps one day you can walk into the same bank and deposit an amount that will make them swoon from envy.<p>----------<br>--Disneyland on the Potomac - ICQ [icq]31223414[/icq]<br>www.go-emerald.com

6. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

TGCUMMINGS,<br>I just looked on the web site for the dept. of agriculture for my state. (North Carolina). They listed the classes and exam schedule. Passing the exam (70%) is a requirement to get your license. The class is not a requirement but it gives you the inside scoop for the test. The license is good for 1 year and your certification is good for 5 years. In order to keep your certification, you must earn 10 points over the 5 year period by going to seminars etc. on turf management. North Carolina State University has an excellent agriculture program and professors from NC State taught the class. They also sold detailed manuals on pests and control methods. (1 book was $15 and 1 was $7) They are invaluable to identifying the pest and control method for a newbie like me. I can now offer these services as part of my lawn care package without the threat of being fined up to $5000 for applying pesticide without a license. I would suggest looking at the ag. site for your state. Pesticide and fertilization is a good money maker according to many on this forum. I was given the advice, from this forum, early on to get licensed, get insurance and get my business name registered as a must to get started in this line of work. Thanks. By the way, the Dept. of Agriculture enforcement guy spoke during our class and said they ticket about 300 people per year for applying without a license in our state.<br>

7. TGCummings

Turfer,<p>Gotcha. I'm well on my way to getting my Pesticide Applicator's license already, but I confused your words to mean you had gotten one of those Turf Care Certificates I've seen on the PLCAA Board and elsewhere. I've been wondering if such a thing is worthwhile and haven't found anyone who's taken the courses. Also looking for alternative courses such as that. <p>Though I've been in the Industry for years, these Boards have taught me all the things I've never learned (or learned falsely) so I'm looking for a study course on Turf Management, good software, books, and magazines to aid in my reeducation. <p>Thanks for your help!<p>-TGC<br>

8. crew

crew LawnSite Member

Congrats,Turfer!<br>I bought a lawn service last year having previously been in a situation similar to yours(38,kids,mortgage,job i hated). Yesterday i got the handshake deal on a group of accounts that will increase my sales by 125%.Talk about fear!!Today i will scramble to find truck,workers and equipment to mow 70 new sites beginning july 1.The strangest thing is i am loving every minute of it.Its not for &quot;the man&quot;- its all for me and mine! <br>Good luck and godspeed.

9. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Turfer,There is a guy in Atlanta,David,who has a story just like yours. I think 17 years VP banker.<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla

10. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Turfer...where at in NC? (we're nc too)<br>