1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just what is a portable air tank good for?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, the other day I had this great idea. Why not buy a portable air tank to keep on the rig to run the impact wrench? That way I can do blade changes in the field if I need to. But yesterday I was changing blades and I guess I never realized how much air the gun uses.

So my question would be: How big of an air tank would I need to be able to do one good blade change (3 blades) using an air tank? Mind you, I operate my 1/2" impact at 110 psi to get the torque I want. My only concern is that I need pletty of psi left to get those blades on TIGHT! I'm thinking a 5 gallon tank ain't gonna do the trick. What about a 10 gallon. Or WOULD a 5 gallon tank work?. . .Not my area of expertise, help please!

Is a portable air tank good for anything besides filling a tire (I keep a 12V compressor on the rig for flat tires)?
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, for the cost and the space an air tank takes up, a 1" open end wrench and ratchet & socket work just fine and take up virtually no space. Three years and never had anything loosen due to hand tightening the blades.

And no, an air tank isn't good for anything but filling tires.:)
  3. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

It would take a huge air tank to do what you’re asking. I don’t know for sure but I would guess at least a 40 – 60 gallon tank.

The portable tank is good when you have a flat that you can’t get the truck to it.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There are several rechargable impacts available today, as well. I have a Makita 14v. (just over). There are several off brands that are out now that are much cheaper than this one, but yet have much more power. Something around an 18v would be great. These things are just awesome. No wrenches, no ratchets - just one tool with alot of speed! I think if you do a little research and shopping, you'll find something that would certainly suit your needs. Christmas is just around the corner! :)
  5. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

What Runner said!! I have Dewalt cordless impact and they are great!
  6. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

I find that anything with chords/ houses is too cumbersome/ very inconvinient, slow and messy.

I have a belt compressor in the garage, and it just gets used to blow air (cleaning)

For everything else, there is the 12volt compressor for tires, and an 18 volt Milwaukee wrench for impact.

Rechargeble/Chordless IS the way to go.
    With one charge, you could change like 100 blades.

Less space, More convinient, More efficient.

Get one.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you can pick up a nitrogen "keg" from a welding supply house. its about $.20/day to rent and $15/fillup and i was told you can get about 30-40 minutes of running an impact. I don't know how safe i'd feel with a missile on my truck or trailer all the time though.

also, 110psi is really overkill for torquing down blades.
  8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Help me out here - serious - or correct me if I'm wrong. Irrespective of the volume of air you have inside the tank, how big or how small - the pressure will still be the same right?
    ie: 110 psi in a 5 gallon tank or 110 psi in a 40 gallon tank will still do the same amount of work. It's six of the one and half dozen of the other only the size in the tank differ.
    I use an open end wrench, a blade clamp and "elbow grease".

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

No size tank is going to work for what your talking about (unless it has an engine on it). Its about all about volume.

Buy a snap-on CT350 cordless impact wrench. Works like a charm. Strong and rugged enough that I dont need a compressor.

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for all the comments.

BSDeality, I know it is a little overkill but one of my worst fears is losing a blade.

PCNServices, I don't have a clue.