1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just what's on my mind, but not ready to buy yet

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I usually have an idea and I get obsessed with it. Well, the current topic is a truck capable of dumping. I've consistently planned on getting a diesel f-250 (1999 or newer) and putting an E-Z dumper in it. Well, I think after paying my mower off, I'll end up with $2500-$3000.00. It will probably be more like $2000.00-$2500.00 after contractor insurance, plates, business licensing, and hopefully some uniforms. These are all preparations for next year, but leave me with little startup money fo next year. I can't really get a dump insert and loan on f-250. I'd be wiped out if I could afford the e-z dumper. I wouldn't have money to make payments on the f-250 until afte the first months mowing invoices. It just won't work with my bankroll.

Here is my new idea:cry:. Even if I got a diesel in the 20K area, it will have some 70,000 miles on it, and I won't have a dump insert. No need for 3/4 ton unless I can dump. Chevy makes an 8' dump 3500 with the 6.0L and I see the 2WD models for $23,000 in several commercial truck lot adds. Alot of them are last years models, but thats fine. I will have just turned 18, but will have all equipment paid for, not that I won't need to expand my equipment eventually. If I took out a loan on a 3500 brand new, I would be set for mulch and would have a very professional and capable rig. I would also have my 2K in the bank. The payoff on my ranger is currently $5300.00, so I could sell it for pay off or something if the dealer wouldn't trade. I might as well put it up for sale in the winter after I no longer need it for business, given my loan guy is alright with me getting a new $23K truck. I could use my 2K and stock up my gas, get some vinyl lettering on the dump bed and cab. I could also do some advertising, get some wheelbarrows, 10 tine pitchforks, work wear, and maybe even a toro proline since the super recycler has been very upsetting when I attempt to mulch with it. I think the truck could be paid for next year as long as I don't have any expensive nights in vegas:confused:. My favorite thing about this idea is that the truck would have basically no miles, with the exception of test driving miles obviously.

I'll still be living at home, so I should be able to stockpile some cash in my $20.00 sentry security box, or checking:) . I've talked about saving up for a down pament on a duplex or just a regular house, so I don't know whether to pay towards truck and get house, or pay truck on schedule and mooche some more. I plan on going to college for at least 2 years since I get half off from the career technical program I am in. I have one year of high school left, so I would be able to support myself right of the bat. I may not reduce my dependency on foreign oils, but I would be responsible for the welfare of my own person.:laugh:

Please let me know what you future magistrates and noblemen think about this situation. Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions you may have. I am often reluctant to change my mind, but I value your guys' input, as most of you have much more experience in this business than I do and at life for that matter.

As for the bagging grass idea, you guys are right about the cost of bagging as opposed to double cutting. If I ever bag, it will be with hand dump bags as apposed to clamshell + leaf loader. I got over that idea after hearing your many negative thoughts and feelings about it.

-Nick Howard
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

do you really have a use for it, or something you would like to have....:)

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Why do you need this type truck exactly??
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If you cant afford it then either get more work or forget the idea lol.
  5. Howie's Lawn Care

I understand why you say this, but I want it for the purpose of doing mulch, gathering limbs from clean-ups, and yard waste from bagging with the 21". I could start with some cheap and possibly unreliable f250, i mean easier to afford and get ez-dumper, but why not start out ready to go for awhile and not have to replace vehicles. I want a chevy because the ford V8s have less torque and horsepower and I have heard that they are weak with a load in the bed. A new 1 ton would be much more heavier duty, more pulling power, and very reliable. I want to get into mulch and I don't like the idea of a dump trailer at all. I like the idea of a new truck also because I can maintain it to perfection and count on it for a long perod of time because of the care I take of it. Is this really a bad idea?
  6. Howie's Lawn Care

I want this truck, so I can get into mulch and have more work. Mulch is a pretty big deal, as I see many people having it done by companies, and customers of mine + their friends asking me if I do it and me saying hopefully I can next year. I know I could afford it when the money starts rolling in and I would be bank enough to make the few first payments. I've been doing well this year, and I know I could handle alot more work.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You can get mulch delivered cheaper than shelling out $40k for a truck.

Where does the majority of your revenue come from? Mowing? If it's mainly from landscaping then investing in a larger truck would be worthwhile, but if you're mostly mowing and towing around one or two mowers no need to buy that truck.
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I agree. I get all my mulch delivered. Cheaper than a dump truck and those guys have the big rigs ready to handle 20+ yards. You don't have to make multiple trips to the mulch yard and they don't really charge that much. Also I don't want to drive a dump truck around for personal use.
  9. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

Dude, i wouldnt bother getting dump or a ez dumper. Im 15 and i am buying a ford ranger to do my yards with next summer. With a dump u cant drive it regular around town cause you look stupid. I would just stick with a f-250, or with your rangers. like the other guys said, its easier annd cheaper to have the mulch delivered. you jut show up on site and your materials are there. thats what i do now because i tow a trailer behind my bike. So bringing mulch myself is out of the question. thats what i would, just keep the ranger.
  10. Keytee04

Keytee04 LawnSite Member

Why does everyone need a dump to do mulch. I never understood that. I spread probably 4-5 hundred yards of mulch a year and I either just get it delivered (If you get contractor discount on the mulch, plus a small delivery charge, you are still making out like a bandit), or I haul it myself. I have a Chevy Silverado 4x4 with a 14' landscape trailer that I put 18" plywood sides on. Just with my truck and trailer, I can put 3 yards on the truck and 5 yards on the trailer and I save all that gas money that the guys with dumps don't. Not only that, why would you want to shovel mulch off the ground to put in wheelbarrows when you can just shovel it off the truck or trailer. Saves your back also. And then, when you overestimated the amount of mulch you needed, it will happen at some point, you have to shovel it back onto the truck.