just when i thought it was safe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup, i did it again, and as usual, its not my fault. this one has me REALLY BAFFLED, i didnt know how to handle it, so i just acted like myself, a real a hole, ok here it goes: lady calls,says she has seen the work i do at her 2 neighbors, she wants to boot her current service, and use us, do i have room for her? sure, i reply. how much, she asks. i say regular $30, but i have her two neighbors for years now, and they get a senior discount, so ill do a weekly service for $27. great, she replies, but it doesnt need it this week, start next week, ok? i say sure. so, wed we go and cut. lawn looks like ----, dry, some high spots, whatever, so we cut, lady comes out, says ok, ill see u again in a few weeks? i say nope, next week, we agreed on weekly service. she says weekly when it needs it, i say, uh oh.....ok, tell u what, every 2 weeks for $30, fair? since im there weekly anyway. great she says. next day, phone messege, " i dont like the way u cut my lawn, dont come back!" click. im like, wtf? so, i call, i ask whats wrong? she says, " well, where do i start, u went from $27 to $30, u didnt trim right, you cut it when it didnt need it, and your mower is too big." now, thats the first time anyone has ever told me that anything i have is too big. i say listen, it was our first time, im sure we can do better, she says , "dont bother, and do not call here again!" click. so i go over, and demand my $30. she gives it to me. so, of course i have to get my two cents in, so, i say, "listen, id like to thank you for cancelling, id hate to have anyone i know drive by and see me working at a dump like this." she slams the door. i laugh, and go home. now, we get complimented on our work all the time, this lady was nuts. would u guys have done anything different? at first she didnt even want to pay me.
  2. Why didn't you tell her you will cut it one more time for free?

Lower the mower to 1" and mow away.......:rolleyes:
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Just be happy she's part of history. Do't go back, don't call, no Christmas card, done, finished. Plainly escaped from the bin. Go on with your life, you'll find another problem to tell us about tomorrow.
  4. bobbygedd

from NJ

i bet u r right
  5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Ohhh...that's gooood! Have to remember that one :D
  6. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Some people you just cant please. Then again, LGF's idea would make her kind of people happy. :p
  7. I'd have done the same except for two points. First, NEVER give a discount for any reason any more. This is a service product and there are no significant economies of scale. The only way to discount is to reduce the quality, which I refuse to do.

And B, don't argue. The customer is the boss, but I've learned to spot most losers right off, and she'd have been easy to flag.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

some people you can't please...but I would have been a little nicer because of her neighbors as accounts. She could spread the word to them
  9. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

And do you actually think this is true?

C'mon this is bobbygedd!
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

az, do u really think im a liar?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.