Just when you think you have earned your customers trust, bam!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassman177, Mar 4, 2008.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i just hate this, i have been actively resigning customers to service contracts for mowing, fert, and irrigation etc. these bu@#@FLES have lots of money, he is a just retired 4star general and they have two houses on this block. we have taken care of both fro 4 yrs now since they bought them, the second is just for parties and entertaining. must be nice huh!.

well i am at their house, he has just praised how great my service has been and i exceeded his expectations and aall that jazz. he signed my new agreements(which only went up 40 bucks over a year) an i was packing them up in my briefcase when his wife came down the stairs and butted in.

she looked over the contract, then said this " we have been your best customer for 4 yrs now and you cant give us any price break for doing both homes?"

i told her i have already done so with the way i priced them and told her the normal price i would charge. this did not phaze her. she insisted i was not giving her a deal and told her husband they needed to talk to other companies to get the best deal. this piissed me off!!!!!!.

to make a long story short, they were completley hapy with all i had done for four years and now she want s break now that every price has gone up for our industry and even contradicted herself severaltimes refering to price shopping as a bad idea when you get results with the company you have.

At this time he told me he was going to have to honor his wifes wishes and said they would notify me if they chose me for this year.she just sat there with a grin. what a *****!

what would you do if they call and do want to continue, or go eslwhere and call you when they realize they were wrong on price shopping

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Times are tough dude. People are getting bomb barded with bad news, high gas prices, and high cost of living just over sell everything to make up for it.

3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

A 4 star general with no balls.
    How bout that?

Don't budge on the price.... let em' find a fly by night for $20/cut....
    wait for the call.... and then they will realize THEY bumped their own status down on YOUR priority list. Too bad.

4. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

that sucks.good luck

5. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats the reason battered womens shelters never go out of business!:hammerhead:

6. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

If it was me and he called me back after that and said he wanted to continue with my services i would raise the price about 20%. if he thought so little of my work after 4 yrs and wanted to shop around for a better price then No Way would i give him a break, i would Definitely raise it the 20%. i have to pay my bills and everything is going up so would his price. if he decided not to accept the new price i would simply tell him "thats fine, and good luck with your new LCO" and i would leave.

7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Here is what I'd like to think I would say:

I have already given you a discount, and I have gone the extra mile when taking care or your properties. If you feel I am overcharging you, I assure you I am not. However, since you feel you cannot commit at this time, your time slot in my schedule may not be available should you change your mind. Thank you for your past patronage. Good luck with your new landscaper. Bye.

Make them sweat a little. "Oh crap, maybe we just screwed up! Why did I listen to you, you stoooopid idiot!"

Turn the table on them. Make them think they need you, not you need them. Might not work, but it's sort of like handing in a letter of resignation after being told you might get fired.

Easy to say, after not being blindsided the way you were, but I've turned a couple of accounts around by telling them I may not be the right LCO for you. Might even call them and TELL them their time slot is gone! If you lose em, good riddance... if they change their minds, this isn;t likely to happen again... or at least might be less likely.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

right on, thanks for your alls comments. it really caught me off guard. i did give them a little speil about price shopping did not work for the hoa they belong to and now i again have that contract. wow, i think she is a bit crazy and yeh, i witnessed him cinching his own balls off for her, who has never worked a day in her life since she married him.

9. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

Here is what I do. If you cancel service for any reason price goes up by at least 15% when you call back if I will even take you back. The reason being in my opinion you just lost you preferred customer status. To me you are now even more of a risk at canceling service than a new customer I just met because you have done it in the past and will probably do it again. Now if you really need the business then take them back but I would rather spend my valuable time working for someone who appreciates what I do.

10. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You said he already signed your new agreement. Was that agreement an actual contract or just an estimate? If it was a contract, and he signed it, he is legally bound to uphold his end of the contract.