1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

"Just won a big one" comes to an end...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Herrick, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

This says it all...

I have to chuckle to myself a little when I see guys on here in the same situation I was in a few years ago. I just though what great advertising, what a way to make a name for myself! There was no talking me out of it at the time. I feel so much wiser now... Or maybe that's just old...

2. Herrick

No, and looking back that was a HUGE mistake. Who knows if we were even bidding the same work? Never again. At the time I was more worried about keeping the work than $500.

3. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

I commend you though, for coming on here and admitting a mistake that we can all learn from.

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like 60 man/hrs per week. So 60 hrs multiplied by $50 per hr would be $3K per week. If you are doing 30 weeks of service, that is a $90K bid. Or at $40/hr it is $72K.

Was signing the contract at under $40K profitable?

5. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I like a good follow up and someone who isn't afraid to admit the situation. New guys should read thru these.

6. Herrick

I averaged 24 cuts a year, about 45-50 hours a week. Price should have been more, but it's a bid, so you cut corners to try and get it, or keep it.

7. Herrick

Main reason I did it. Hopefully it will help someone, although I'm sure many it will go in one ear and out the other. It was an expensive lesson, but knowledge is priceless...

8. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Debt free is the best way. If you can't go totally debt free, then you should keep your total debt payments to under 10% of your net.

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Most folks don't understand, they come in here and ask for advice and you get these guys who have ten and twenty years under their belts but when I try and tell the folks that it's not a good idea all I ever catch is attitudes, like I don't know what I'm talking about... Now some folks got seriously lucky those people were not out to take advantage of anyone because with a contract they could have took the contractor to the cleaners, inexperience will do this, folks take on way more than they can chew, the red flags were everywhere but maybe this time the lesson stuck.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

wondered about that myself.