Just won a big one...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Herrick, Nov 18, 2008.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I wouldn't bet on that. You were the lowest bidder so they are obviously only concerned about price. In that case, they will put it out to bid next year and hope someone comes in at $29,000 like previously posted. I only say this because of the Solo plant I landed. I've already offered them a multi year deal and they stated that they have to get at least 3 bids each year related to policy.
    I've had Sean Adams suggest that I get some residential base because of the uncertainty of commercial. I'm almost 100% commercial and sweat losing a contract every year when it comes due.

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever tried to raise a commercial account 15% or 20%? They want to complain about just the standard 3%. I have never gotten more then a 5% increase from the previous year. Commercial work sucks cause there is little to no loyalty.

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i just got back a condo complex that had 4 years ago. some guy under bid me by $4,000 per year. needles to say you get what you pay for. i also raised their price $3,000 per year and they didnt bat an eye.

by the way herrick this condo complex is a little over an acre and i will have about 10 man hours a month into maintaining it.

contract $13,000

hours on site 70

per hr $185

38 visits per year = $342 each time i go there and the place only takes me solo 1 hr to mow trim blow

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  4. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Well, they never actually put it out for bids when I got it. I made a cold call and they told me to feel free to submit a bid. Contract just happened to be up for it, and the previous guy just happened to raise his price 36%. Really was just in the right place at the right time. I'm pretty confident that they'll keep me around unless I really screw up.

5. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

he probably raised his price because he realized he was getting the short end of the stick

6. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Herrick - Good Luck and I'm glad you got the contract. NOW you will see after the growth season kicks in how difficult this will be to do SOLO. Also you will see that at $30,000 for this 40 acres +/- you will get your tail kicked. Seriously, I have complexes I do like this and $45,000 - $50,000 is the right area to be at to make 15-20K. I have 2 WAM mowers - (12 feet) and 1 AR-250 and these machines fly through these types of mowing - I could mow this in 6 hours seat time on these machines - 60" ztr will take you 20-25 hours - - Good Luck. e

7. Herrick

WAM would be almost useless in most of the areas... too many obsticals and narrow spaces between houses.

8. Herrick

Wow, that's awesome!

9. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

I would think this is worth 45000 just in mowing and trimming.Hedge trimming and edging is another story.But good luck.

10. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

This is my first year bidding on anything big but that looks like a $50 to $55k project.