1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just won a big one...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Herrick, Nov 18, 2008.

1. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Hey man good luck with this one you prob. under bid a bit, but suck it up and dont let the quality of work see that you are not happy with price. Take it as a learning experience and try and grow from it. I think the deal with your dad might work out real well for you if he is easy going. Like you said it is a win win situation. I have been in your shoes I think that most of us as been. Not everybody can wake up in the morning and know everything!! Let us know how things are going for you, I too root for the underdog. Have a great 2009!!:)

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

maybe you can make it back up selling, you know leaves mulch and the like. you have to have help so get in your training as soon as possible. i would have hit 25.00 per house with the thoughts of doing some landscaping .so good luck and get r done
  3. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I looked at that picture and thought, "well, with me and 2 guys, I could do that in 2 days". Now I dont do anything near that large or complex, but I sat down and broke it up and I figured 3 people / 2 days. I'd have 1 guy mowing just the open areas with no trimming by himself. And have 2 guys working together on the buildings lawns, 1 mowing, 1 trimming/blowing. Then I see your talking about almost 30 cuts for 30k... and well, I know there is no way I would touch that for $1k/cut. Sorry nope. Hope you dont loose your butt on it. If you hire someone to help you I'd be suprised if you do much better than just break even. If you do it all yourself, and it takes you 3-4 days, you can count on them not letting you bid on it again the following year.

Sorry I didnt bother reading the other 100 posts.
  4. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

What he said. I can't belive properties like this go with solo operators and listen to mowers all week long, and you left $15 k on the table. Good luck with it though.
  5. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Good Job on the find!!! Good luck this mowing season!!!
  6. RBatten

RBatten LawnSite Member
    from FL

You might want to consider taking on a partner. That way you get a more motivated helper. Then convince your father to help out. That way you have 3 guys going at it. You should be able to get in and out in a day & 1/2 maybe two. That way you have 3-4 days to actually make some money.

Don't listen to all the negitives. Focus on the possitive.

1. you now have the confidence to go full time.
    2. you have 30K in revenue( Cash Flow)
    3. You will learn what took alot of people years to figure out all in one season.
    4. You will learn how to deal with hardest demographic, elderly. They are also the fastest growing group and will always need your business. The older they get the less they can do. But you will find some that are total PITA!
    5. You are now a real business. Welcome to the American Dream. Work your a$$ of and the money will come!

Good luck and Stay possitive!!
  7. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

A number such as 30k may seem like a lot of money in a contract, but when you break it down to what you will be grossing per week, it wont seem as much. You also have to add in every one of your expenses, such as taxes, insurance, equipment depreciation, ect. You get the picture. From what started as a big number really ends up being that big of a number after you are all said and done. Its all about knowing your expenses at the end of the day. Best of luck to you! Hope it all works out for the best!

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i have a question how is this going to be handled with the snow is it you or the maintenance guys
  9. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Maintenance guys will handle the snow... I've offered my services as a sub for plowing if they get really behind after a big snow.
  10. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Well, finally got the signed contract last Friday, so everything is good to go. Getting my Commercial Insurance going next week (I had a writer on my homeowners policy before). Lots to do in the next month, really getting the itch to get out there and get going... too bad it's still in the 30's!