1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just Wondering

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there anyone here that doesn't love this business? Obviously, everyone has their bad days, but is there anyone who's reading this thread, who is in this business for no other reason that the money?
    For years, I worked a 9, to 5 that I hated. I just feel so lucky to be doing what I love to do now.
    How does anyone else feel about this industry?
  2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I Love It! I started doing this in 1990 for a Chemlawn Franchise. I loved what I did. After 5 years I hated who I did it for(and I don't mean the customers. I worked for the FD for 9yrs after that, doing lawncare part time for other companies,then myself. I loved the work and the guys I worked with. I hated the schedule. My whole life revolved around the calendar at the station. Holidays,weekends and the like. If I couldn't swap with someone or pay them to work, I was screwed. Now I make my own schedule. I actually get to see my kids grow up. I wouldn't trade that for anything. There are times in this business that will test you. For instance, I just went up 15% on my price. I am holding my breath to see the fallout. I have committed myelf to making some money this year instead of just getting by.Over the years I've made some "silk purses" from "sows ears" and made many customers happy. I'll always get satisfaction from that. However, I'm not out there to get a Sun Tan. I can get one of those at the Lake!
  3. Victor

That's a pretty inspiring story. That's great you turned your life around like that. A lot of people say that the job you do, doesn't determine who you are, but your occupation does play a huge role in your life.
    When I was turning wrenches at the airport, my boss told me one day that I only had to spend 8 hours of my day there. What he didn't take into account, was the fact that I spent more time there and around my co-workers, than I was able to spend with my family.
    Just like you Ted, the career change I made has had a huge impact on my outlook on life. What a difference! :)
  4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the application end of the business more than the maintenance side. Which is why i have started doing less and less maintenance and more apps. Looking forward to the upcoming season.
  5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Jay I've never mowed for a living. I don't think I'd like it. Too seasonal and what a grubby job. Covered in dust and grass clippings by the end of the day. As far as that goes I think you will enjoy this "end" of the business more. It will take more customers to make the same money. which means a few more headaches dealing with people. Your biggest obstacle will be impatience. If you can get your customers to have patience, your quality work will transform their lawn and that end of your business will grow and thrive. I hope things go well for you in 2008.
  6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes, I really love what I do. I love working outside. I like the way my work days just cruise by. I like most of the people I've had working for me. I even like going out with the mowing rig. Just listen to the ipod all day. I really like making the lawns look good, I like taking an "arm-pit of the neighborhood" lawn and getting it to look great. I like striping lawns, (with the mowers), hardly anyone does that here, so my lawns get some double takes.

There are things I hate... Late payers, ever increasing material costs, When I started doing this for myself, I could buy 46-0-0 for just over $4/bag! I get tired of the price shoppers. Most of my current clients have been with me for 5+ yrs. I like that. I started with 40 clients of my own in 1995, I still have 23 of them, (none are family) I went door to door selling my program.:laugh:

I don't like wearing my PPE when it is blazing hot, gloves filled with sweat:confused:

On the whole, I like what I do... There are days when I love it. I feel blessed to have something like this that allows me to support my family. I've worked a total of 3 hrs, while my kids have been off for winter break, my son and I replaced the deck on a trailer:)
    Hard to beat that.

One other weird thing, I love having cool tools... I'm not kidding, I love having and maintaining commercial grade mowers, I love having my spray rigs, trucks, trailers, air compressor, welders, blowers etc. If I went back to school and became a brain surgeon, I would still have a killer, commercial mower, and mow my own lawn.:laugh:
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

As we have talked several times....we both share the same passion for the industry as most do on here!

I love what I do everyday! Are there bad days? Yea!

But most are great!

There is nothing better then working for yourself and having a profession that most need!

As Lawn Tamer says there are bad parts: Mine are worrying all the time about everything!

Business growth, input costs, results, weather, price increases, are there enough hours in a day to get this all done, etc.

All out of my control...but still worry about them!
  8. Victor

You need to stop worrying so much Rodney. You're hair's gonna turn white before you know it Buddy. One thing's for sure. We both spend a lot of time thinking about the same things. :)

Lawn Tamer... I think we share a lot of the same opinions on a lot of things, except... Your love of the maintenance side of this business. I sold off all my maintenance equipment 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. My Buddy Jerry Andersen who occasionally frequents this website, is always asking me if I ever regret my switch to an all apps outfit and the answer is always no. :dizzy:
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am cold in March--hot in August. But I really appreciate the independence. In the old days, having a boss look over my shoulder and responding to various ideas the suits in the front office wanted to try--pain in the butt!
  10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Great post! Nobody could pay me enough to work "INSIDE"...........watching the clock until it's time for "my break". For a human (not sheep) to be couped up inside enclosed walls goes against what I consider humane treatment. I enjoy fresh air, excercise, and the freedom to work as my standards dictate. I also appreciate seeing different sights on a daily basis -- meeting new friends, seeing hot babes, etc.

Hard work -- for sure, but I don't have to pay a health club to stay in shape.

UOTE=Victor;2082528]Is there anyone here that doesn't love this business? Obviously, everyone has their bad days, but is there anyone who's reading this thread, who is in this business for no other reason that the money?
    For years, I worked a 9, to 5 that I hated. I just feel so lucky to be doing what I love to do now.
    How does anyone else feel about this industry?[/QUOTE]