Justifying a mini skid?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RedSox4Life, Dec 23, 2013.

1. walkerway

walkerway LawnSite Member

You need to price your jobs per job not per hour, you know how fast you work they don't. Some instead of saying ill pull those bushes out for $50 bucks a hour, tell them ill pull all those bushes out and clean everything up for $495
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Yea exactly, but thats a whole other thread. You can do
    That$500 bush job byhand all day or 2 hours with the mini skid and be on to the next one $$$$
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I've been in business for long enough to know how to price things. I rarely discuss hourly rates with customers.
    However, when doing the math on a new machine purchase, I have to have some sort of idea on how,icy a machine can make, hence the hourly price.

Like rj said, this thread is more about deciding if it's worth spending the money to make my life easier. I'm not 20 anymore, and neither are any of my employees.

I'm not big on the idea of used, but maybe that's the answer after all. That way I can hopefully make things easier on myself, and make money at the same time.
  4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I would think a Dingo could easly do the work of 2 men with a wheelbarrow, likely far more.

Pros of a Dingo are
    There able to go where a lawn mower can go
    Easy to load and unload
    Multiple attachmdents are avaible

Cons of a dingo
    Expensive for their size
    Resale value is not as good as bigger machines
    Attachments are expensive
    Very limited on what a 20hp machine can do.

To answer your question, personally I would not spend 20k in your sitituation. plus 20k is the starting point, attachments and buckets are high.
    Used may be a good option, 7500 will likely get you a good used machine and may come with a attachment or 2.

A nice 28 to 35hp tractor 3cyl 4wd and front end loader can be had new for around 20k
  5. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

after having a tx425 for 5 years I would question how someone would still be in business without one. it will smoke 2 workers with wheelbarrows, doesn't require workmans comp. never calls in late. the biggest question is what will you have to change in your operation to make the dingo work to full potential. an example would be how do you deal with their low dumping height? possible answers could be a dump trailer, bed insert. they may be small but are definitely game changers.
  6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
  7. whiffyspark

You can even use them to load wheel barrows if the machine won't fit through a gate. I'll be buying one
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

That's very interesting, thanks. The reason I'm so set on a mini skid opposed to a toolcat, full sized skid or tractor is becauseit would fit so seamlessly with my current set up. With a miniskid I can do what I do now, better. Whereas with those other machines I feel wouldn't help me much. They may open up new options for types of jobs I can accept, but that's not what I'm looking to do with this purchase.
    I just got off the phone with the bobcat dealer, they have a mt52 with 150~ hours for $15k. That already sounds much better than going new.
  9. whiffyspark

Only issue with bobcat is they have a specific mounting plate and no platform.

Non issue if Youre buying all the attachments, but if all Youre rental outfits have dingo attachments it won't work

I know theres an adaptor plate somewhere, not sure on cost
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

The Bobcats have platforms. Kinda like a Sulky. They come with the machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device