1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Justmowit idea

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Oct 25, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking about justmowit's business plan where you do very small lawns with 21"s and keep your costs low and profits high. In new orleans and the area I'm in there are lots of very small lawns that can easily go for 30-35 when I'm already charging 30 to 35-40 for a much bigger lawn that requires me to bring my big ztrs and trailer and burn more gas to make the same profit. I was just thinking maybe next year it would be smart to only do small lawns and use the 21"s on them and make good money? Good idea?

2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I dunno man - it might be a good idea, had you had it about two years ago - seems like you've made a lot of equipment/business changes in the recent past - not that you don't have the money, but continually changing your business plan/aim can't be a good thing in the long term.

I would stick to what you're currently doing, and maybe - maybe down the road look to expanding (or downsizing) your business into the 21"/small lawns model. You could always add another crew in a couple of years - have them do the small work, and you do the big work, or vise/versa.

Just my .02 :waving:

3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Well I'm not changing my current plan by any means I'm just throwing out another idea I was thinking about. I was running 21"s two years ago but was trying to do the biggest yards around. Now I know you can only do really small yards to make money using 21"s. The ztrs I have now are great only the overhead and extra expense of cutting big lawns and making 5-10 bucks more doesn't seem worth it. I don't know.

4. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, then why do you have two ZTR's, that you really don't even need....!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!

5. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I wasn't trying to criticize - just throwing out an idea. . . if that's what you want to do - by all means go for it! My only point was don't change your business plan repeatedly to no positive end.

6. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Justmowit's "idea" is simply a business principle.... VOLUME.

I don't think 90% of you guys have business plans... you just mow and build and ****.

Hell with that.

I'm here to make a mil.

7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

and did you all read the follow up to the justmowit article the next month?

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

A key piece to the Justmowit model is an abundance of inexpensive labor. Have you ever run a 21 all day, 5-6 days a week? That is labor intensive, and you just can't do the volume/man that you can with a larger machine. Good model, but unless you want to bring on a bunch of H2B guys, I'd stick with the model you have.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

another idea is to use a 36" WB instead of a 21". it would be quicker and easier with more prophit

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What have I always said a Ztr isn't cost effective on small lots?!

And it is why I recommend Lco's NOT buy a Ztr for at least the first 5 but really 8 years in the business.
    But no matter how many times I say it, out they go and buy these things.
    What can you do?

Thou the reason I interrupted is because I'd like to add the Justmowit plan really involves Mow-n-blo,
    which is a perfectly sensible technique for a new Lco to build clients and experience, that's how I did it.
    But to go from a Z to a 21" is a bit like going from a Formula I to a bicycle, why not try a 36" Walk-behind?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008