1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eho, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

I ve seen a few things on Justmowit and checked out his website a few times. I am very intrigued by what I saw on there and very impressed with that company( especially since I live within 20 minutes of where he mows). Have you other guys seen what his website? I bet he does a booming business. I was impressed with several little things about the way he runs his biz. Your thoughts?
  2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

do the same thing he is doing but charge 50 cents less. let me tell you, you'll have some real winner customers with a high turnover rate
  3. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

ya go after someones buisness and lowball his customers, good idea. then you will be successful and in say 5-6 years when you are a big buisness someone else comes and lowballs you. then you lose a lot. ya real good idea, earn your customers pal
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Justmowit's business model could work, but you have to run a really tight ship to make it work. I also wonder how he financed all that. Could not have been cheap.

Also, with that many employees, I'd go nuts or alcoholic.
  5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Yes, he (they) run a good business. But I wouldn't want to try to imitate them in their own market.

However, you might find another service that the same basic model would work on. Why limit it to the mowing? It would also work for chemicals (oh yeah, they call it Chemlawn), or some landscaping, window washing, or any other kind of repetative business.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

My guess is that he has less invested than most full service guys. He runs small pick ups and small mowers. He also runs low overhead. Most guys drive their grass stained pick up home at night, he drives his BMW.

As far as employees, he has systems in place and he can plug anybody in and it works. Just like Mc D's.
  7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

It was a joke. Take note of the "real winner customers" and "high turnover rate" comments.
  8. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't listen to the jealous LCO's responding to this. Justmowit found a way to make cash and has built a large business. I bet if justmowit posted a thread stating what their business plan was before their success they would of been laughed at. My hat goes off to Justmowit :waving:
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Per truck, yeah, but did you see how many trucks he has?
  10. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

I give him some credit too...he is definately doing something different and it seems to work. I know I wouldnt have tried something like it.