JX-75/SB-14 Blade clutch removal... how?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Rose, May 16, 2008.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

My old SB-14 John Deere needs a new drive belt, but in order to replace it it appears that I need to remove the blade clutch assembly from the shaft. I Have the lower portion off, that connects to the blade and is bolted on to the end of the engine shaft. Now I'm unsure how the other half connects to the shaft. Is it pressed on there and has to be pulled off with a puller? Is there a special tool that fits the end of it (there's notches around the bottom edge).

Also, I was able to free the main spring, but getting it back on there appears to be quite a chore... Is there a trick to that that I'm not seeing?

I don't want to mess up the clutch by attempting the wrong way to remove it! I'm going to run to out John Deere place first thing in the AM to pick up a new belt, I'm going to try to see if anyone there knows, but I'm betting that the mower mechanic dosn't work Saturday monrings. Good thing I only use this mower a few times a week! :laugh:

Thanks in advance to anyone that knows!! :waving:
  2. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

you don't have to take the clutch off on most models.

remove the blade, the brake return spring, clutch cable. loosen the engine bolts so the engine tilts. install new belt by running it over the clutch arm from underneath. you can also just remove the engine and install the belt.

reinstalling the brake spring. reinstall and tighten lower clutch half. install one arm bolt almost all the way. get a pair of filter wrench pliers. grab the end of the arm with the pliers after you attach the spring. squeeze pliers until second bolt hole lines up. install bolt as far as possible. remove pliers and tighten both bolts.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Sweet! Thanks for the fast reply man!

I was thinking the spring bracket could pivot like you say, I just know that spring is pretty serious and didn't know where to get the leverage from. I'll give that a shot.

I'm pretty mechanical, but sometimes I just need a little advice! Sure beats taking everything to a mechanic, lol.
  4. kajun1

kajun1 LawnSite Member

I have a JX75 and I want to change the blade clutch. I am up to removing the clutch, I took everything off the bottom half came off with no problems, it looks like theres a spacer with some groves on it how do I get the rest of the clutch off. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010