JX75 engine question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cernysr, Jun 11, 2005.

1. cernysr

cernysr LawnSite Member
    from Denver

I am in need of a lawn mower and have about 2 weeks to pick one. I am looking at a used $350 2002 John Deere JX75 in excellent condition but noticed that it is leaking oil on the front of the engine. I think it may be a gasket but need advice on whether to buy or go with a new Toro 20017 or 20055. I do have a picture that I can email.

2. cernysr

cernysr LawnSite Member
    from Denver

The John Deere is a 6hp Kawasaki engine with pressurized lubrication, blade brake clutch and aluminum deck. The John Deere dealer that has this mower for sale says that the mower was used by a residential customer as a trim mower only. The mower has no warranty from the dealer.

The Toro 20017 Recycler is $360 with a 2 year warranty, free $50 cordless trimmer and has a 6.5hp Tecumseh engine with a steel deck.

The Toro 20041 Recycler is $400 with a 2 year warranty, free $50 cordless trimmer and has a Briggs and Stratton side valve engine with a steel deck.

The Toro 20055 Super Recycler is $550 with a 5 year warranty, free $50 cordless trimmer and has a Briggs and Stratton side valve engine with an aluminum deck.

Anyone have comments on Toro’s personal pace system which the above three models have?

3. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Get the 20055 Toro. The warranty alone makes it a great value. The new deck side discharges, bags well, and is a great mulcher.

I like Deere products, but that used mower will likely need repair, and parts for it are expensive.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

When you're buying a used mower, count on throwing the engine away. Go with the Toro. That model Deere is a nice mower , but only used as a trim mower by a little ol homeowner on Sunday? Puhleeeeze..the guy must think you're gulable.