K app and soil temps.

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Jul 11, 2014.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I normally do a late summer k app of 1-1.25k per 1000 sqft of kmag or 5-0-30 on warm season turf.

I'm playing with my program to try and get another app of fertilizer to help with color and growth without adding another round. My hope is to create a premium program and possibly drop mowing.

With pre we use soil temp as a factor. Is there a soil temp where the turf will not take up the k? Wondering if I could push back k app til October(fescue seed time here).
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

My last application is 1lb/K (potassium Nitrate) 30 days before the 1st killing frost. When warm or cool season turf goes dormant the sugars/nitrogen can't be metabolized and not used or stored by/in the plants roots. Greendoctor knows way more than me on that, but apply with enough time and the K will help ward off some winter killback.

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Thanks. I'm trying to see how far back I can push it and still get the uptake.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Potash can be leached out by heavy rains. I think a small amount of K with each application makes more sense.

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd just get a soil test done to see where the lawn is at and go from there.