K app on warm season turf

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grassmasterswilson, May 25, 2014.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I'm wondering the importance of a stand alone K app. Is there any evidence on the benefits of this? I think I read that it helps with centipede.

I'm just trying to get more N added into my program on Bermuda. I currently do 2 lbs per year and then 1.25 lb K app.

I get K at every Fert app throughout the year and Hebert seen many with a K deficiency.

I currently Fert with high N in April and June. Then a high K app in August as the turf slows down headed into dormancy te first of October.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

The latest research has shown that there is no benefit to adding extra K beyond the optimum level (between 61 and 100# K/A) isn't adding anything beneficial to the plant.

This is especially true in the fall. For years, fertilizer salesmen conditioned unsuspecting LCOs to apply K (sometimes a heavy application) in the fall as a "winterizer" to help guard against disease and winter damage. However, research has told us (for more then 60 years) that this is not the case. All you need is a soil test K level to be between 60 and 100# K/A and you'll have as much protection as K can give you.

If you're at or above 60# K/A, then adding more K does nothing for your plants and simply drains money out of your wallet.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good point, Skip.
    K is usually water soluble. So add a little potash with every application to keep the soil levels adequate. Sandy soils lose K rapidly, if rain or irrigation is heavy.

Potassium loss is even faster if your CEC is below 10.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic