K.C. Light system on a mower...would it work??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowinforaliving, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a question for you guys. For those of you that read my thread "What would you bid on this" youll understand why im asking. Highway mowing at night to avoid traffic safety issues and risk of throwing debri at cars....could I get 4 KC lights and wire them up to the machine battery or would I need to carry an onboard battery for this?

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

if it is a 12 volt then it would work...with 4 lights though your alternator may not be able to keep up.

3. Mowinforaliving

How long do you think one new deep cycle 12 volt battery would last that's running 4 of those lights? 10 hours? If so, I could carry an onboard battery to run the lights and then just charge it after each use. Would it pump juice that long?

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well i can tell you this...our 4020 has 4 lights on it and the alternator failed one night and the lights were completely dim after about 3 hours of running...and that tractor has 2 24V batteries...now how long the alternator was bad before we noticed it i dont know

if you can find an alternator that fits put a larger one on, its not too difficult...you might have to splice the wires but if it will fit it will work

5. Mowinforaliving

Ok. Thanks.

6. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

so ur gona put 4 130watt kc highlights on ur mower? i had 2 hellas with 100w bulbs on my dakota. it wouldnt last to long with just the battery. they would go dim. and thats a truck electrical system.

7. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

your local napa has utility lights that are small round 12v lights that the plow guys around here use for backup lights

2 up front should be more then enough plus it will draw tons less then the kcs
    i have 2 on my back of my box truck as high floodlights on a regular 800cca battery and have left them on for 4 hours at a time....

i would get a simple orange strobe to mount on a post/pole behind you

you will not being going fast enough to outrun the lights... trust me it will be cheaper and easier

8. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

go with like 15 or 30 watters and dont use more than 2 and youll be fine...theyre the harbor trash ones for like 9 bucks

9. Mowinforaliving

What about a light on the rear so that I can glance over my shoulder from time to time to ensure im getting a good cut?

10. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

mount 1 backwards off the strobe pole on a toggle.....

or leave it on if you don't think it will distract drivers