K&N Air Filter for Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by deere615, Feb 17, 2008.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Are the K&N replacement high flow air filters any good? One costs about $50 for my truck or should I just go with the paper air filter?

2. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I am good friends with a few HIGHLY skilled automotive people that deal with performance/racing cars. All of them tell me that the K&N filters do increase air flow but let to much trash in. None of them use them.

3. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I dont like K&N and would NV use them. They let to much **** in ur engine. Plus were driving trucks and u really wont feel the diff in perform from a air filter. So its not worth the extra dirt in ur engine.

4. tras

tras LawnSite Member

I have AEM Brute Force intake systems in my trucks and I've been pleased with them.

5. deere615

Thanks for the reponses so far guys, maybe I will get the normal factory one instead. Any one else have an opinion?

6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I would keep it stock for fuel economy and engine life. If you go aftermarket I would stay away from K&N and some of the other paper knockoffs.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No K&N's for me, I've got a Mr. Gasket high performance intake but it takes a standard $4 paper element I replace every so often... And I still have the OEM intake hardware so like they say, come time to sell it I still got those parts too.
    Either way, the Mr. Gasket intake is a standard round air filter, paper, 4 bucks, everybody sells them.

Because what do I do when the element gets dirty, wash it as K&N claims?
    Well cold water and a hose ain't getting no grime off no filter, I wish dust was all that got on there but if that was the case I could just take the paper ones and slap them up against the side of the car knock the dirt off, right?
    But up under the engine we gots oil and grease gets on them, some kind of way from other cars and the road dirt, all that.
    So what do I do, throw it in the washing machine or the dishwasher, that how we clean the K&N's?
    There are no instructions whatsoever on what I am supposed to do with the K&N element once it's dirty.
    The replacements are dang expensive, like $20+ each.
    Oh, hand wash it warm soap and water and then air dry... Why not just throw a $4 paper element in it and be done?

The real reason I dislike K&N thou is they're cheaply made, mostly plastic.
    I recently broke my $50 one on the beemer and it ended up costing me $115 to get another USED OEM box because in the process of the modification I had to make I broke the original air filter box.
    Not saying this could not have happened with Mr. Gasket's filter, but at least the Mr. Gasket one never breaks because it's made of steel, and it only costs $25. Of course Mr. Gasket don't make one for the bmw, maybe there's a reason for that, I don't know.
    But the other thing I don't care for is when I look specifically for an air filter for a bmw all I catch are thousands of ads for the same dang K&N aftermarket garbage and I literally have to sift through that spam to find a proverbial doggone OEM air filter like I'm looking for an OEM needle in a K&N hay stack, wth...

So as you might have guessed, I stay away from them anymore.

8. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

The only time i would switch to a aftermarket filter is for a ford diesel (7.3) and thats the 6637 mod. I have heard that is a really good filter and in the mean time lets in air and filters really well. Its from napa. Im gnna try and fab one up to the v-10. $29.00 for the filter.

9. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

AEM Brute force dry flow for me!!!!!!

10. deere615

Thanks guys:waving: