1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

K&N filters for small engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally wont run a K&N filter on mower for they let to much through and with dusty conditions while doing fall cleanups it could cause damage, we have K&N filters on all our trucks and knowing how much they do let through for performance, personally would not go that route.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I gotta agree with Brian here. K&N's are more at home in performance type applications. I don't think they are well suited for mowing enviroments.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you knew why a K&N filter allows more airflow you might not feel this way. An engine can actually suck dirt right through a paper air filter as the filter gets dirtier. A K&N filter actually filters more dirt as it gets dirtier. K&N has been making filters for dirt bikes for a long time so they know how to filter out dust. If I could get K&N filters for my Kawasaki engines I wouldn't hesitate for a moment and I am darn particular about my engines.
  5. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

speaking of kawasaki filters...what's up w/aftermarket filters? can't find a x-reference for their air filters. have to pay dealer $32 & change for air filter for 22 LC. brother manages a NAPA store & he hasn't been able to cross with any of his suppliers. (scag mower)
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Richard,the value of a K&N filter is in its airflow capabilitys,not filtration.I have oil samples from my truck,that told me to check my intake system,I had high silicon(dirt in the oil,after only 3K.I pulled the K&N,put the stocker back in and the levels are normal now.I have read on the turbo diesel register,that the $60 dollar filter for the Ram diesel has been passing to much dirt as well.I say run the stockers-its cheap and proven.I used to believe K&N filters were he best,and I ran them on everything that i had,even my ATV's.They do give more power,but at a cost.
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

John I heard the same things you listed! I took a K&N out of my Powerstroke diesel cause so many people were complaing of problems that have been proved. K&N right on the box says let more air in for better performance, which means more debri will flow through filter also. Mowers really dont need this type of performance your probly asking for trouble!!!!

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I run two filters on wy walker ....a k&n at the top of the intake tube and the factory donaldson down below..i have yet two have to blow out my donaldson filter in 6 months now ....don,t filter well...all off road race truck run this filter .....lots of dirt out their.......the trick to a k&n is the oil....if the filter is OILED properly dirt will not pass my donaldson filter is still as white as it was when installed..maybe ya,ll arnt oiling right or not often enough. under heat cond. oil will dry out but if oiled right the fisrt time the filter will only clog and prevent air from flowing through.i have to disagree that it donsent trap dirt.......don,t use the oil sparingly..in fact oil it let it dry oil again....also since installing the k&n my oil looks just as clean when its time for an oil change .......I have sold and used K&N for over 18 years and this i the fisrt time i have ever heard of a problem....
    follow the instructions that came with the filter and keep it oiled very well and you shouldn,t have any problems.. and never blow out this filter you wash it and let it air dry blowing this type filter out WILL create holes for dirt to pass through......
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

K&N filter problems arent noticed by average consumers.People who are very meticulous and are getting oil samples and trying to extend there drain intervals have found out that a K&N filter almost always causes high levels of dirt in the oil.Some with Dodge/cummins have even seen the oilly dirt in the intercooler hoses,and the oil lines the intercooler-if it filtered so good,why would there be grit in the oil film?I would run a 2 stage K&N,It would make a great pre-filter since it has a very low restriction to incoming air,even when dirty.