K Rain

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rain Pro, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Rain Pro

Rain Pro LawnSite Member

I have followed this site for a year now and have enjoyed many of the threads posted. I finally have one to start and would appreciate my fellow contractors comments. I currently use the PGP and am very happy with the product, but I have become aware of the K Rain RPS75 which is being marketed as a "knock off". Has anyone had any experiance with these heads?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'd use Orbit before a K-Rain knockoff.

3. Rain Pro

Rain Pro LawnSite Member

I really have no reason to change but I recieved a sample head through KRain's web sit and it seems like a exact copy of the PGP @ a lower price point.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It will take a few years to prove itself equal. Maybe yes, maybe no.

5. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

What's a lower price point...$ .50/head, $1.00/head? Unless you are installing thousands a day (which you'd better be negotiating a killer deal with the distributor), I wouldn't gamble with "it's exactly the same" claims. Even if every component in the head is designed the same, something as simple as a .0001 tolerance could dramatically affect the durability. Or, if the plastic is from a different supplier and the formulation or process isn't identical, you could be hosed.

Then you have support. Do you think K-Rain is going to support you as well as Hunter would in the event of a problem?

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

A little slow in the frozen trenches, today?

7. Rain Pro

Rain Pro LawnSite Member

I'd be looking at saving close to a $1 a head and the way 2007 was around here i'm looking for any advantage I can going into the 2008 season. My thought was to give the head a chance with my repair crew because the Krain fits into the PGP body. My local distributer says the warranties are the same for both heads.......I'll keep you updated

8. Rain Pro

Rain Pro LawnSite Member

after tonight the trenches will be filled with SNOW

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

If I was spec'ing a rotor system today, I'd use the Hunter 6" I-20 stainless, or take a
    good look at the RB 6" 5000 series.:)

10. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

I hear what you're saying but a warranty is only as good as the company from which it's written. I.e.: you can get a cheap rebuilt alternator with the same warranty as the <Big Name Here> company. Even with the warranty (which will be for the parts only, not labor) you still have to fix the problem.

You want to get the advantage over your competitors, raise the bar and charge more. It's a win:win.