1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ZX12R, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone use thier products and if so,what do you think of them? Yesterday I was at my supplier.I told him that in the fall,I was going to install an irrigation system at my house and that I wanted a price on Hunter I-20's with the SS riser. Do you know he tried to talk me out of the I-20's? He wanted to sell me K-Rain rotors.He said they are identical to PGP's. Anyway he brought one out and they just looked really crappy to me,and I am not even in the irrigation business. The price was almost one third the cost of the Hunter SS I-20 rotor. I am not going to use K-rain but was just curious as to your input on them.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

They've been discussed a bit as of late. My conclusion is...

A. you get what you pay for.
    B. They havent been around long enough to be proven.
    C. They are sold at Home Depot, same ones you buy at the "pro" shops.

C should be A, in terms of relevance for me.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I-20 6" stainless "ultra" or Rain Bird 5000 6" stainless SAM w/"flow-stop". The rest is crap, except Toro "Stream-Rotors", which are not made in a 6" riser, not stainless, no low-drain check valve in the head.
  4. ZX12R

Mike,what about the I-20 with the 4" SS riser? If I recall,that also has flo stop. Quick question. At what point would you go from a 4" riser to the 6" riser? I was going to go with the 4" ,but,now you are making me think too much.:dizzy:
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'll make it easy....use 6'' in turf, period, end of discussion. :)
  6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

10 more years of thatch before you have to worry about imperfect coverage due to low heads. Nuff said. 6" should be the norm, everywhere, always.
  7. ZX12R

Thanks Mike and Hosk01,I will heed your advice....Thank you!
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

I used to install only Hunter. Then moved to Rain Bird.
    Now we install K Rain.

The PGP was developed by two men, One wenton to sell Hunter, the other K Rain.
    There is a lot of K Rain on the east coast.
    I can run down a huge list of restorts that have only installed K Rain products.
    Many athletic fields use the K Rain product as well.

K Rain is less expensive largely two to two things #1) they have perfected the manufaturing process #2) their name is not as established as Hunter or Rain Bird and therefor they cant get away with the ridiculous profit margins those other two companies get.

K Rain rotors are exactly the same as hunters (so are irrtrols for that matter)

K Rain is essentially The RC Cola to the Coke and Pepsi of RainBird or Hunter.

K Rain doesnt make a good clock yet.

I use Hunter, Rainbird (sometimes) or Acclima clocks.
    Ive installed one Weathermatic before.

Im not sure why you would want an I20 stainless on your residential system?
  9. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

We use their pump-start controllers, pump-start relays, and indexing valves, and do a lot of replacing when it comes to their heads, especially the Pro Plus.
  10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Why wouldnt you want stainless? It may not be neccesary in all apps, but it cant hurt. As I stated earlier, Krain has no track record in any book for me to put my name behind them yet. And, I replace many I see that were mistakenly installed in the field. There are ballfields with Orbit heads, doesnt make it right.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.