k series kohler gas consumption

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BZB_Helpers, Jan 29, 2006.

1. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

i have an old k582 kohler and would like to know the gas consumption rate at various rpms.

can anyone tell me the build year of it, i believe the serial number is 36224, if you need another code let me know and ill look it up on the engine.

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure on the exact date of yours but it is of the late 70's-mid-80's vintage. JD used it in the model 400 from 1975-1982. But after the KT-17 incident in 1981, John Deere went to Onan for their twin cylinder engines, but kept the single cylinder K-series all the way up to 1987, before going to Kawasaki for their light duty gas engines and Yanmar and Onan for their heavy duty gas engines in the lawn and garden line. Today, Kawasaki and Kohler are the engines of choice.

Probably more info than you were looking for but at least that gives you an idea.

As to the fuel consumption, I can't help you much there. The big block Kohlers can run through some gas, as evidenced from my two K-341 powered garden tractors.

3. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

36224 looks like a spec number, not a serial number. By that spec number it was built for Jacobsen. Get the serial number and I can should be able to let you know the year.

4. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Fuel consumption is going to be very dependent on how the engine is loaded at the various RPMs. No load, running hyros, turning blades etc etc.

deej

5. BZB_Helpers

where can i find the serial number? the only sticker on the engine has the model number and the spec number.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If it is a silver sticker the serial number should have been below the model and spec. numbers. These stickers are known for fading out where no numbers can be read, Hold a flash light pointing across not at the sticker and look at different angels sometimes you can see a imprint of the numbers.

7. BZB_Helpers

i'll check that, but it seems weird that the model and spec number would be perfectly readable with crystal clear black text while the serial number is completely faded.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This is right from the book, I forgot they put two stickers on some of the older K's It's possible one is missing or it's just faded as I said.....

Attached Files:

9. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

I found a graph, but here's the jist of it (by the way, this is for a K532):

RPM Gal/Hr
    1800 1.35
    2700 1.9
    3600 2.2

At full load