1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

K Turn

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LAZERLAWS, Aug 24, 2007.

LAZERLAWS LawnSite Member

How is a K turn done?
  2. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

I may be completely confused with something else, but you may be thinking of a "Y" turn. I've seen a thread about this before. Instead of doing a complete 360 on the grass, doing a "Y" will prevent digging up the grass. I think.
  3. doctordun

doctordun LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I'm confused about this also. I've tried to find a thread stating how it's done, but failed.
    On a ZTR, instead of just doing a 180, you do what?
    Instead of pivoting on one wheel, would you be making a looping 180? If so, doesn't this defeat the advantage of a ZTR? That's what I had to do with my tractor mower.

Thank you.
  4. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

well yeah doing a k turn (even though its more of a y, ive always known it as a k turn) will defeat the purpose of a ztr but you gotta use it if you wanna keep the customer, at the end of the pass with only one wheel spinning youre gonna rip the grass right off the spot where your one wheel isnt turning, or at the very least rip the roots good enough to where youll notice in a few weeks the grass browining in those spots, it takes a little longer but its what keeps your lawns from becoming full of dirt patches....i always use a driveway or asphalt whenever i can for doing some quick zero turns, unless its freshly sealcoated or is a wet day when ill track it up

lots of times going around trees youll rip the grass off the edge of the tree ring, so in that case you gotta do the shortcut, which is where you do half the tree in one pass and half in the other, or when doing a loop around the tree need to stop, back up and position yourself farther from the edge of the tree ring. but with a walkbehind youll have no problems, as its a much lighter machine, with tires half as wide as a regular ztr

you can zero turn with a walkbehind easier, but will still rip grass unless you counterrotate, spin one tire one tire foreward and one in reverse (on a hydro) ...if you have a belt drive then go around the lawn 2 or 3 passes so that way when you go to do your straights you have plenty of room to do a nice gradual turn and still get lined up before making the pass