K31 tall fescue

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Mar 24, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

is it better to round up and reseed with a better variety (tttf) or try to overseed the lawn several times with K31 to get the lawn looking "not so clumpy"?

if round up then reseed, how many times have you guys had to spray it because of its deep root system? i can't have any coming back.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, all tall fescue essentially has a 'clump growth habit' as it is often called.

But to be honest about it, the issue is not apparent until die-out occurs.
    Then there is sort of a hole there where the stiff base of the mature plants once was.

So in order to get away from the clumpy appearance, you have to keep it healthy and thick as dog hair. Another key to the above is to raise the cut height up out of the base/stalk of the plant and up into the canopy plant.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i cant think of anybody that would want that as a lawn turf, with kids anyway. if you do use round up, wait until its activily growing (a little to early here) that way you cant get a better kill, then reseed w/ a KB/per rye mix, or there is a very nice turf type tall that spreads like the KB, i have used it in several lawns, both as sod install and seed. it does not spread quit as fast as the KB, but you do get a nice full turf in about 18mon (of course it does depend on the enviroment/fert)

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I live/work in an area where I have seen the warm season creeping grasses creep in over time.

When that is the case.... well you learn to hate creeping grasses.

That being said, I am one of those people who wants fescue.
    It doesn't repair period and needs overseeding every year.

But it beats the crap out of Bermuda.

Down here KB just fries in the summer heat.
    So does the tall fescue, but not nearly as bad.

That Fescue you are talking about is the RTF right?

5. teeca

yes, RTF... i will agree with the burmuda (same for zoysia), we have it growing in some lawns here and looks like crap growing in KB, and it stays brown longer and turns brown sooner as the temp change. but if you've ever walked in a nice KB/rye lawn, there's nothing like it.

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Bermuda is a heck of a weed. However, the drought tolerance and other things about has made it a nice summer grass in Texas.

7. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

so one shot of round up will take care of tall fescue even with its extensive root system? just trying to figure out a price. i will be reseeding with a newer variety turf type tall fescue, but waiting to do everything until this fall.

8. teeca

how large of an area? figure you can get around 6-8k out of a 4gal back pack sprayer using about 12oz +/- of round up (check the lable) and it sould take less then 30min to do. then figure out how your going to seed it, i.e. with an areator/slice seeder/or just throw it down.