K9 Tearing Up Poly tubing

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by nephilim0167, Feb 25, 2006.

1. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

I've got a friend of mine with an Akita that LOVES to DIG. Unfortunately it's to the point now where he's actually piercing the poly tubing, ripping up the spaghetti, and just creating an all around havoc. I've done my share of work at their house to keep his tubing as maintained as possible but the dog is always one step ahead of me. Is there any solution that you have to prevent this? They're asking me to tear up all the poly tubing and run it through PVC now but I want to be sure there isn't an easier option. Thanks for the help!

2. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

bury metal window screen underground then when the dog digs at it it wont like the way it feels on its nails, problem solved.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of the dog?

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i also use chicken wire fence and sod staples to staple it to the ground to keep dogs from digging

5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Should have put a poll up on this issue. :laugh:

A. Get rid of dog.

B. Kill the dog.

C. Get rid of the poly tubing.

D. Get rid of the owners.

E. Get the dog a new toy... like a mailman.

F. None of the above.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What about landmines?

8. PurpHaze

Get rid of the dog and you no longer have to pick up "land mines" with the shovel any longer. Kills two birds with one stone. :clapping:

9. BeeZee

BeeZee LawnSite Member

This is what I did to my 70 lb. dog.

Let the dog dig his hole and while he is digging, you go and fill up a 5 gallon bucket with water.

Hopefully by now the hole is at least a foot deep, the deeper the better.

Now this is important, do not say anything to the dog, just walk up to the hole and pour all of the water in the hole. He's going to look at you and say "What are you doing"?

Put down the bucket and grab the dog by the head and put his head in the hole for about 2-5 seconds and then have a talk with him.

Dogs really don't like water and he is going to associate digging with water. It may take 1 or 2 more dunkings but give it a try. My dog doesn't dig anymore.

Bernie.

10. PurpHaze

DROWN the dog!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinkup:

An Akita would bite you in the balls if you did that.