Kansas City Mowing Market

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by OPLawns, Jul 15, 2006.

1. OPLawns

OPLawns LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, my name is Scott and I am in the Kansas City area and new to this forum. I am currently a student at Kansas State and will be graduating shortly. I am considering starting a commercial lawn mowing business in the Johnson County area. I have a few questions that some of your experience may help to answer:

(As a preface, I must mention that through highschool I mowed 30-40 lawns per week with a truck/trailer/commercial equip...so I have a good base of experience for estimating, billing, and scheduling)

1) Is anyone on this forum familiar with the KC mowing market? Do you feel that it is over-saturated with lawn care businesses? HOW EASY WAS IT FOR YOU TO COME UP WITH A SUBSTANCIAL AMOUNT OF ACCOUNTS IN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME?
    2) This is a glimpse at my business plan: Start one crew next season with me anD one employee mowing around 2.5 residential lawns per hour for a 40 hour week. Invest about 30K into truck, trailer, and commercial equip. Next season, start another crew and promote the old employee to a foreman position on the original crew and invest another 30K into a second truck, trailer, and two more mowers that are larger for the more commercial accounts and hire one more employee to help me with the second crew. So the plan is to have around 200 residential accounts (total) or less if there are more commcerial accounts mixed in by my second season. DOES THIS SOUND OUT OF THE QUESTION?
    3) I also plan to plow in the winter with each of my trucks and realize that most contracts in Kansas/Missouri are on triggers and bill per push. DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT FOR OUR AREA? HOW MUCH DO YOU GUYS CHARGE PER SQ FT/ACRE?
    4) Lastly, I plan to buy a Lesco-style spray rig and an aerator and would hope that at least 30% of my customers would have me perform those services. WHILE COMPETING WITH CHEMLAWN, DOES THIS SOUND ACCURATE AND/OR LIKELY?
    5) Including fall cleanup...can I expect AT LEAST 8 MONTHS of mowing Kansas City?
    6) How easy was it to find warehouse space in Johnson County and how much are you paying for sq ft?

***Thank you very much for your help. In order for me to jump head-over-heals into this mowing venture, I must have a proven business plan that minimizes my risk. Any and all feedback that you guys give will help!

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, refer to the "Kansas City" thread in the networking forum. Second, I'm up in KCK and it seems to be flooded. I usually don't make it down south, but i pass LCO after LCO when i come through!

3. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

Im in overland park...and I personally think it is way over saturated.
    But thats just me...you may get some different responses.

Just here in my sub-division I see atleast 5-6 LCO's each day. Sometimes more.

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

it's about a 28 week cutting season in kc just like here