Kansas City!!!!

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by Hamons, Mar 7, 2003.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Does anyone have a bagger for a 48" RH stander? I'd prefer accelerator.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. zachj265

zachj265 LawnSite Member

I have a 5x8 carry on utility trailer from lowes that I used the first 2 years of business. The frame is slightly bent but it gets the job done. Have title. Will sell for $100.

3. FLC2000

FLC2000 LawnSite Bronze Member

Stick to your prices, there will always be someone cheaper. You cant compete with those guys. They will eventually price themselves out.

4. FLC2000

FLC2000 LawnSite Bronze Member

On a side note. Im so f'ing happy winter is almost over!

5. Ethan51

Ethan51 LawnSite Member

I could not agree more!

6. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Crimson Lawn

Crimson Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

About that. Depends on obstacles, irrigation, patios, walks, beds, degree of slope. Here is the thing, I agree on sticking to "your" prices at the same time, do you like to go out aerate a lawn for $15 per 1000' sq. That is only $150 for 10,000' sq. for 2 to maybe 3 hours of hard work. Yes you may look at it like I just made $75 an hour or $50 an hour. When you consider the cost of the purchase or rental, fuel for machine, fuel to get there and all other associated cost, what's your profit then? It took me about 5 years to figure it out and when you see 3 to 4 guys in a truck with 4 or 5 machines, advertising "Fall Aeration" "$40 Per Lawn", they can have it. They will knock it out in 45 min or less, neighbors coming out and buying in also. They are looking for profit in volume, I do not, I look for quality.

|

Ups and downs, with the overall trend down and yes more snow. Going to be late start this year, maybe 2nd week of April.

8. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

When I picked up my pre yesterday the guys were like, "62 degrees on Monday, you better get out and put this down." I just kind of shook my head and agreed but in the back of my mind thinking that it's still too early. Soil temperatures arent going to be favorable for any grassy weeds to emerge just yet. I'm ready for spring just like the rest of us but applying the products too early aren't really going to do anybody any favors.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. zachj265

zachj265 LawnSite Member

Last fall I installed landscaping for a couple in Overland Park. I noticed Ryan Lawn & Tree had overseeded their 7,000 sq. ft yard. I mentioned to the couple that I also provide overseeding and their response was, "we couldn't turn down the price they offered". Apparently Ryan verticut, seeded, fertilized, and applied some green material as top dressing to 7,000 sq. ft. For $95.00. My customers said 2 men from Ryan spent over an hour completing the job. I would have charged more than 3x that and I have very little overhead. How on earth does Ryan make a profit? The job would've cost me at least $80 in Seed, fert, and peat moss and at least two hours. I'd be left with $15 profit for two hours of work minus. Subtract $5 for gas and I made $10 for 2 hours. Subtract another $3.50 for federal and state taxes and I would've netted $7.50 for 2 hours of work. So I agree companies can take their cheap jobs i don't want them.

10. Crimson Lawn

Crimson Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Zach,
    The difference with Ryan is that they buy in bulk. These are just examples. Your seed may cost you $70, they are paying $50, Fert cost you $20, them $14. Plus they will schedule about a few others in the same neighbor hood to get there best bang for the buck.
    Are you sure that was the price for just that, reason I ask, I think Ryan will do a level billing for the year, so they may have been paying that amount on a monthly basis.