Kansas City!!!!

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by Hamons, Mar 7, 2003.

1. joker17

joker17 LawnSite Member

Newbie here located in Missouri. I'm looking for used equipment. I am "mow and go" residential operation so I don't need any zero turns or anything too fancy just yet.

Here's what I'm looking for:

A 21 push mower. I have my main mower already so I'm just looking for a mower that is in decent shape that can serve as a backup in case the main mower goes down.

Blower (Backpack blower preferred), Edger, Trimmer, Misc. tools

Since I am just starting up, I'm on a shoestring budget so please take this into consideration if you make me an offer on any equipment. Thanks.

2. zachj265

zachj265 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned I'm in Kansas..

3. Crimson Lawn

Crimson Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I still don't think you need to charge a sales tax in Kansas. Here is the best answer I can give, call the Department of Revenue, ask if there is a sales tax on services. Remember, you are selling a service, not a product or goods. I say that because, there are different terms used in determining if there is a sales tax that is needed. By the way, do you want to charge and pay sales tax income.

4. FLC2000

FLC2000 LawnSite Bronze Member

In Kansas, if you leave something on the property, like mulch, fert, plants, etc, you need to charge sales tax.

No tax for mowing.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

This is correct.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Crimson Lawn

I am glad you replied. I was going to send him to you but I could not remember your ID. I am glad I don't do business in Kansas yet, what a pain to incorporate sales tax.
    Hey, KS_Grasscutter, how are those GS working out?

7. zachj265

zachj265 LawnSite Member

I spoke with dol and was advised I need to obtain a sales tax registration for pesticide applications. I can purchase the products tax exempt but must charge the customer sales tax for the product and labor. All other services are exempt of charging sales as long as it is residential and not considered a commercial remodel job. Trees, mulch, and decorative gravel intended for residential installation require the contractor to pay sales tax to the vendor but do not require sales tax on labor or material to be collected from the customer. Commercial work has different requirements.

8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by GS? If you mean Grandstand, I went with a RH Wright because it was a lot cheaper. And I'm not sure how its working out because I have yet to use it haha. Were just barely getting started on cleanups.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Crimson Lawn

I thought you were going all Grandstands because of the cut quality, anyway no biggie, just thought I would ask.

10. thegreenskeeperkc

thegreenskeeperkc LawnSite Member

New to the Site, and to the Business. This will be my first year running, located in Grain Valley. I will only be part time, with hopes in being full time some day. Nice to meet everyone!