1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kaput gel mole bait

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HazellLawnCare, Oct 6, 2004.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My grandparents lawn on their farm has been taken over by moles this past summer. Have any of you used Kaput from Lesco and if so what were your results? If you could tell me a little about the product I would appreciate it.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We've had some success with it. The only problem we encountered really, was that it melts down when it gets wet and gets gooey. You then don't know if some of it has been ingested, or what. There is a new product called Talpirid. It is much like the gel bait, but instead of Warfarin being the active ingredient, it uses Bromethalin, which is another anticoagulant. Also, instead of being a gel, it is in the form of "gummy" worms. We've had great success with this, as the moles just gobble these down. 1 worm is a lethal dose to a full grown adult mole. You have to wear gloves with these though, as this can be absorbed into the skin, and your scent can be put onto it. They come in a box of 20 (2 trays) and run around 40 bucks.
  3. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

Dont waste your money on the gel stuff, get the Talpirid. We've had great results with the worm baits so far.
  4. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Bromethalin is not an anticoagulant, it was developed to combat a world-wide problem of rodent resistance to warfarin-like anticoagulant rodenticides. Its mechanism of action is to decrease production of ATP in the mitochondria of the central nervous system. This does some other things which cause buildup of cerebral spinal fluid and vacuolization of myelin. The increased CSF results in high intra cranial pressure, causing damage to nerve axons, inhibiting neural transmission and leading to paralysis, convulsions and death.

The metabolism of the mole is so fast, that bell labs sales pitch is that warfarin like anticoagulants would be expelled too quickly to be of use. Kaput gel might have a different opinion about that.

All this being said, Talpirid does seem to be a good alternative, although a little high on price. One other problem I have is the sales pitch. We where told by Bell four weeks after launching the product, that only licensed PCO would be able to buy this, excluding some Internet chemical houses. Two hours after leaving the 2 hour sales pitch, went by my local Lesco's to find that they will be selling it to the general public. So much for helping us make money. That said, we still should find a good market, and I don't grumble too hard.

Best Regards

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you so very much for the info. I have some educating to do to our local Lesco guys. I was told it was an anticoagulant, so I just presumed that's what it was. This is what I get for not researching it myself. This just goes to show what can happen - prime example.
  6. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Hey Runner,

You are more than welcome, but don't think I'm smart, I just remembered it was an ATP inhibitor, not an anticoagulant from the sales pitch a couple of months ago. Most importantly we both learned something, that's the name of the game, helping each other.

Best Regards

7. Sir Sel

Sir Sel LawnSite Member

Where can I find the Talpirid? At LESCO? I overseeded and the damn moles are infesting my yard and my new grass.
  8. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

The moles here are horrible this year. All over my new lawn they have made a real mess with tunnles. I tried the mole bait on my own lawn and have had some good results. The lesco manager where I go sugested that I use some toilet paper rools. Cut them in thirds and place the bait in there and bury it. Where I have used it, I have not seen any more activity. Mabey next year I will try the worm type bait also.