Kaw 12.5/Exmark Metro carb prob

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by shorty7616, Oct 25, 2003.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I have a Kaw 12.5/Exmark Metro carb prob. I have had this mower three seasons now, and it has now started to cut in and out. After prolonged use it is more noticeable. If it dies out out, it can be restarted with no prob. I have changed the fuel filter, and have even taken the air filter off to see if that was the prob. I have cleaned the carb out. What else? Does the carb need to be rebuilt? I only have a few more weeks of mowing and I'm so aggrivated!!!!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Shorty,

It's possible the carb need rebuilt, but it could be a lot of things. Before I had the carb rebuilt I'd put a fresh plug in it as well. The Kawi singles can get real temperamental if you don't replace the plugs every now and then.

When in doubt have a qualified tech take a look at it.

Thanks

Terry

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

That really sounds like what happens when the carb is dirty. Are you sure you cleaned all parts of the carb? Cleaned off the outside thoroughly? Did you take it apart, or just clean it off as best as possible while it was still on the engine?

We've had what sounds to be a similar problem in the past, and we just take apart the carb totally, clean everything, and put it back together. That has fixed the problem for us.

4. Currinson

Currinson LawnSite Member
    from MA

Another quick check, last year we had a simular problem. Disconnect the fuel line and check for good flow from the tank, if it is not flowing good, go back to the shut off and disconnect, check flow, we had debris stuck in the shut off preventing a good flow of gas, hop this helps.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Guys,

One other check would be the fuel cap. If the vent hole in the cap is plugged it can create a vacuum in the tank and starve the engine for fuel.

The next time it starts to loose power crack open the fuel cap. If it keeps running there's a good chance you need a new cap. Also then next time it dies, open the cap quickly and listen to see if you hear the tank drawing air in as you open it.

Thanks

Terry

6. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help, it has helped me tremendously. Tommorrow will be the true test to see if anything has worked or if its time to take it to the Doctor. I'll let yall know.