1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kaw 17 HP (twin) questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro-hp_48, Jan 31, 2004.

1. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Was searching here (and went throiugh 39 pages at the eXmark forum) and discovered several had problems with their 17hp Kaws. That has me wondering.
    A)Run mine until something happens? (sell the "dead" motor, boat anchor, throw good money after bad?)

B)Sell the motor while it has no problems, and get a 19HP Kaw.? (always run good....little ocasional smoke @ start up...little hard to start at times)

C) Sell the whole mower, and buy a Hustler Super WB? (48/23hp)

D) take a chance nothing ("bad" or..... repeatedly) will ever happen to it?

Seems the air filter/placement was a big problem. Any canister-types being produced of fit the 'ol FH500?
    (the 12.5 hp had me convinced that all Kaws. would be flawless, .........at the time)

I know some have had good luck, and this one's always be good.

Like to stand on the shoulders of the giants here, and get a good view of what might be waiting for me down the road.
    (pretty much know who doesn't like them and who does, and the reasons behind their thinking (from all the searching).....not trying to bring up the Kaw/Kohler debate)
  2. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

The only problem I've had is that it's very cold natured.

Personally, I think your worrying for no reason.
  3. metro-hp_48

from TN

I hope so. Never occured to me, until I came across some fh500 horror stories. (no money to call my psychic friends. he he he)
  4. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

5. Landscape Supply

Landscape Supply LawnSite Member

Mine run great, and I have them on 4 walkbehinds.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a water cooled 17kawasaki on a JohnDeere 188, she has a little over 800 hours and purrs like a kitten, ditto on being a little cold natured but thats all
  7. metro-hp_48

from TN

Do like hearing (only) good so far about the 17HP. I have always liked how it has ran, and the cold natured part has not been that bad for me.
    But, you can imagine my surprize to read bad things from quite a few in a previous thread. (unless I fell asleep while reading the old threads, and was having a nightmare!)
    Still want to figure out a way to filter the air better. (wish I knew exactly how many hours I had on it, but I have a TIny Tach, and always reset it after maint. prob. around 225) Still doesn't make sence to not oil the pre filter, but I guess they know more than me.
  8. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have 350hrs on one..love it, not a problem except the starter made a funny noise...(bendex) I just need to clean it out.
    Other than that its been great.
  9. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

2 years no problems only cold natured when it's cold like 20 to30
  10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I'll bet the horror stories that you here about those kawi 17's were all caused by neglect or abuse. The people that were having problems will not admit it, but that's my take on it. I've owned 10 or 12 Kawasaki engines of different HP's and have never had any real problems. A few burned coils or broken starters, but never anything major. But I take very good care of all my equipment and always have. That's the key to long engine life.