1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kaw 17 vs. Kaw 19

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scout_pete, Jun 8, 2005.

1. scout_pete

scout_pete LawnSite Member

Sorry for another HP/torque post. I found it interesting that the Kaw 17 HP (FH541V) and the Kaw 19 (FH580V) are essentially the same block, displacement, etc., but the 19 HP makes better torque at a lower RPM and obviously more HP at the top. What gives? Is it the crank? ....carb? I have attached the specs even though they might be hard to read.

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

No sure. But I can tell you the 19hp has a whole lot bigger block over the 17hp (I have both) Also the carb is completely different. The 19hp doesn't bog down when under load. The 17hp will bog pretty badly.
  3. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

Are you sure you have the same two engines in question? You say one is a 'whole lot bigger' than the other, yet the specs list both engines as being 71.2lbs. Sounds like the same block to me.

I'd be curious as to what they are doing with the engine to get the extra power as well. I've seen similar things with Briggs and Stratton's 'Quattro' engine, I've seen the exact same engine block and displacement with Horsepower ratings from 4.5HP (maybe even 4HP) up to 6.5HP. That's about a 50% 'claimed' increase in power while still using the same block.
  4. scout_pete

I am no mechanic, and certainly not an engineer. The way I used to understand such things as a novice was that something has to increase, (e.g. displacement). Maybe the spec charts are not correct, but those are from the Kaw site. Hmmmmm :confused:
  5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

you are right they are the same engine only the carbs are different one thing they do have in common is they are junk i have many of these engines laying around the shop with 1000 hr's or less and are done no short block no rebuild
    just throw away and get a kohler and be done with it
  6. scout_pete

Well, that's the first time I have read Kaws are outright junk, and there's lots of folks running them. I have heard of a few issues with both Kaws and Kohlers, though.

Thanks for the info on the block. I didn't know you could increase low-end torque by just dumping more fuel in faster, ...if thats what the 19HP carb does. Still...:confused:
  7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Many engines that are within 1-2 horsepower from the same manufacturer are simply re carbed for that extra horsepower.
  8. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, it is probably just the carburettor. The marine boat motors are often like this. A bigger throat and jets will do the trick of adding a couple ponies.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, but I can tell you one thing, same ordeal with the 675cc series 21-25hp and there is a lot of difference between the 21 and 23.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hey sawman! :waving:

Been meaning to ask you... why do some Kohlers make that suction sound from the exhaust??? Know what I'm talking about?