Kaw 19hp black smoke

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by zedx, Oct 2, 2005.

1. zedx

zedx LawnSite Member
    from ny

I have a 19 hp kawi. It has had significant power loss, blowing black smoke, came on over a matter of 3-4 days.
    The choke is not stuck. Changed electric fuel SOLENOID had a spare, have removed and cleaned out carb. No change

It blows black smoke like it is flooding out, has 135 lbs compression, both cylinders I thought it may have had a bad coil and not burning fuel correctly, swapped coils (I had spares) still black smoke and no power, gets real bad under a load. It is almost like it is out of time. It is a FH601v is it possible for it to jump time and still run. I am stumped any help appreciated.
  2. zedx

zedx LawnSite Member
    from ny

I should note that I have also cheked the valves
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

What does the air filter look like? Is it possable it is clogged or dirty?
  4. zedx

zedx LawnSite Member
    from ny

That was first thing checked. It was clean but I put in a brand new one.
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

possibly the float in the carb is filled with fuel, which would keep it open, and cause this issue.
  6. zedx

zedx LawnSite Member
    from ny

The float is fine, I took carb apart and cleaned, thought maybe dirt stuck in needle. I check float when apart and it is fine. It seems like a carb issuse, but is not. Like I said I am stumped. I even thought exhust might be pluged and pull muffler. Not it.
    I do have a blown engine that I am going to swap carbs with but I do not expect it to do any good. I do not have a service manual on engine that's why I asked if it could have jumped time. If the spark was not firing correctly it would load up. Very few small engine's can run with timing off. Must all when timing is out, will not even start. I believe this engine has a gear for timing and if it jumped a tooth (broken tooth) wanted input on if it would still fire . I was hoping I might have missed something simple and now just overthinking situation,
    All sugestions are welcome.
    Too confused.
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I see no mention of spark plug replacement, I have seen many NGK plugs intermittently spark or quit completely after warming up. What did you set coil air gap at ? Should be 0.008/0.016, It's not very common on a belt drive unit but I have seen the flywheel key partly sheerd and cause this symptom.
    It's not likely to be jumped cam timming or it would hardly run at all, But cam timming has nothing to do with the ignition system firing it will continue to do so.
    Just a couple more things to think about.
    Good luck
  8. zedx

zedx LawnSite Member
    from ny

Spark plugs brand new, coil gap set at 14
    Also it's on a lesco 52" hydro
    I have not had flywheel off but that was next step.
    I probably won't have time to work on it until this weekend.
    If I don't straighten it out this weekend I will send it to shop.