Kaw 23 Stalling Out

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rock creek, Sep 22, 2005.

1. rock creek

rock creek LawnSite Member

PJ:

I have a 2002 mini z 52 with a Kaw 23. It has 200 hours on it and has been a wonderful machine. Just recently it started to stall out while mowing at full throttle after I had been mowing for about 20 minutes. It just loses power and stalls out. It is easy to start up again and sounds good when it runs but it will run for about another three minutes and then stalls again.

I thought the air filter might be clogged but I have replaced the original filter with a new one and the stalling continues.

The oil level is correct. I have the original sparkplugs and fuel filter still on the machine.

When I initially start the engine it starts easily and sounds good. It doesn't smoke or make any funny noise even when it is stalling out.

What suggestions do you have for me?

Rock Creek

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

When it is stalling, does it feel like it is running out of fuel? choke it when it starts to stall and see if that helps it run longer, if it does, then you need to replace your fuel filter, it would be a good idea to anyways.
    If choking it doesn't help you may have a coil issue.
    There are so many things it could be, it is hard to determine with out seeing the unit in person.

Pj

3. rock creek

rock creek LawnSite Member

PJ: You were right it was the fuel filter. I guess that 200 hours is long enough time so that I should consider changing it at 150 hours to be on the safe side.

I also changed to new spark plugs. It now runs like it did when it was new. I guess the change was so gradual that I didn't realize how much power I had lost from the air and fuel filter needing to be changed.

Thanks!

Rock Creek

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good to hear.
    We recommend every 500 hours to change the fuel filter, but with fuel today and the environment you are working in, it is a good idea to change it sooner.

Pj