Kaw 23hp has no power under load

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mountain, Sep 30, 2006.

1. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

I have a turftiger with a kawasaki fd671d engine that idles fine but loses all power when the blades are engaged. I put new plugs in then ran it and when I pull the plugs out they are covered in a black soot. I cleaned the carburetor, checked that the muffler wasn't clogged, checked engine compression and everything looked OK. I also put a new clutch on about 6 weeks ago
    I can't figure this out and would really appreciate any help.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Tried adjusting the governor yet?

3. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

no, didn't try that. would I adjust the arm or the set screw and is there a certain way to correctly set the governor
    thanks

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

How does the airfilter look?

wayne

5. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Grass cuttin fool might be on to something. Black sooty plugs are a sign of running too rich and a clogged air filter will cause a rich mixture. Also replace the fuel filter.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a kawasaki on a walkbehind...........sometimes it acts up and wont run good and the air filter looks ok but is too dirty to run good. On the other hand, Ive taken the cover off a Kohler engine and the filter was caked with grass and I wondered how it ran at all and it purred like a kitten.
    Kawasaki's seem to need a cleaner filter to operate correctly, it may not be what is wrong with yours......but maybe worth checking into

wayne

7. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

i didn't replace the filter because the decrease in power from no load on engine to blades on seemed too severe to be caused by a dirty filter
    i'll put a new filter on in the morning and see what happens

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Not out of the ordinary at all. These engines are very sensitive to loss of airflow. Replace filter first

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Below is the governor adjustment procedure, How many hours are on this unit ?

Kawi FD671D Gov Adjustment.jpg

10. scaper27

scaper27 LawnSite Member

probably lost a cylinder. Does it sound alot different now. Happened to mine