Kaw 31 hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DP27, Jan 28, 2010.

1. DP27

DP27 LawnSite Member

I have two 31 hp KAW on Hustler mowers. Both are using oil. One has 400 hrs the other has 125 hrs. Anyone having this problem?

2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

These Big Block Kawy's are really bad engines. They should be warrantied but I'm really shocked Kawy put them out. I had 2 37's go at under 200hrs.

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have one I bought in 08 and have really not noticed it using more than normal. How much oil are you talking about?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I only know of a few guys with the big block kaw. so far everyone seems happy with them.

5. DP27

DP27 LawnSite Member

They use about 1/2 qt week. My dealer broke down the one with 400 hrs. Dirt has gotten in around the intake on the head and there are no signs of dirt from the air filter to the intake. KAW told them dirt can only come in from air filter but there are no signs of a dirt trail. KAW said not there problem but it is still in warranty.

6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

thats why I stick with the smaller engines. less fuel consumption and gets the work done the same

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, those big engines are gross overkill !!

8. DP27

DP27 LawnSite Member

I like the big motor i cut alot of lots 12-15 acres that only get cut every two weeks.
    Plus this one has 72" rear discharge the power is nice in taller grass.

9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I think it dependes on the mower and deck also though. Some decks that do not recycle the grass much takes less HP. Also if you have a Super Z you want the extra HP for the hyro motors.

10. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Got a Kawi 31HP (Super Z 72" side discharge) with 150hrs and it doesn't use oil. I changed the oil at 11hrs then every 50hrs after that. Changed the outer air filter once so far. With the outer and inner air filter I find it hard that dirt made it's way through. The inner still looks new.

When you say dirt gotten in around the intake is he thinking the intake gasket? Could the engine got hot and warped something? Fins cleaned? I would imagine that the rear discharge decks could kick more dirt/grass to the engine area.