Kaw 500v

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Skyking, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

I have a Kaw FH500V AS43 on a gravely 144Z, It acts like it runs out of gas I have changed the fuel lines Fuel pump some times it runs fine some times not, it getting worst.

Thanks for any Help

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I didn't take time to look up your model, but I have encountered a few Gravely's with the problem you experiencing---particularly if the fuel lines exit the top of the tank(s). Check the drop lines inside the tanks--they start to crack as they bend off the elbow in the tank allowing the fuel pump to pull air. For a time, Gravely was using an inferior drop line. Keep in mind that there is a weighted fuel screen on the end of the line--in both tanks of course. The problem fooled me once--not again.

If this happens to be the case, replace with 1/4"ID Tygon.

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto Dutch...
    Had one of those drop the weighted screen and it ran when it wanted too...
    Replacing that line can be a challenge...

4. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

Thank for the reply I have changed them I was thinking it might be the solenoid on the bottom of the Crab.

5. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Could be.the solenoid..
    Did you replace the short hose. From the fuelpump to the head.???
    If it leaks..the fuelpump can be intermittent...
    I would put a bent coathanger in the tank and fish out the fuel line to make sure the weighted fuel screen didn't fall off...

6. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

Yes I have replaced the short Vac . line and checked the lines inside the tank.
    I'm thinking the solenoid is all that is left, and those things coast about $135.00

7. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Remove the fuel solenoid and check it. Sediment can collect around the plunger of the solenoid making it sluggish/inoperable but most of the time they can be rehabilitated.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Is it an efi?

9. stonebridge

stonebridge LawnSite Senior Member

when it dies look down in the gas tank see if anything is blocking the inlet i had a dixie chopper and ended up replacing everything and the problem was there was a beetle that would get sucked to the inlet and choke the mower out of gas. check gas tank see if there is a floater in there