kaw 721 issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by all ferris, Aug 16, 2006.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got a new mower a few weeks ago and it has the 26hp LC KAW on it. The problem is that it causes a high fequency squealling noise on my peltors when I listen to AM radio. It does not affect FM signal. After listening to to it I have come to the conclusion that it has something to do with a voltage regulator? For example.. When I start the machine I can hear the squeal for about 10 seconds and then it goes away but when I engage the electric clutch for the blades the squeal comes back and stays until I turn off the blades. Today I hooked up a 12 volt sprayer and I would only hear the squeal when the pump turned on(blades not on). So it seems that whenever there is a voltage draw it cause the squealing noise. Any ideas on a fix. Could it be a bad ground??

2. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

sounds like you need a noise suppessor on one of the wires (im not very electrical so im not sure of where it goes). its the same as when you put extra electrical equipment in you vehicle. You sometimes get a hum in the radio from the added items or from the engine. A noise suppessor will take that hum out but that about all i know. sorry i wasnt much help on that. maybe someone will know more. :)

3. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Did they charge you extra for this special option?:laugh: :laugh:
    Is your radio a recent addition; has it ever picked up any other kind of RF noise?
    Do any of your tooth filings pick up the same station and if so, is it a Latin station?