1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kaw FB460v Rebuild

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SnapperHelp, Aug 28, 2004.

1. SnapperHelp

SnapperHelp LawnSite Member

I just acquired a Snapper Commercial mower with a Kaw Fb 460v on it. I replaced all the belts, filters, oil and the spark plug and now I know for sure it needs carb work and possibly rebuild. Do you have any guide lines on deciding to do a rebuild or not? And/OR a list of parts to do a rebuild? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
  2. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

Unless you are going to do the work yourself it might not be cost effective for you. could be better off with a replacement motor of the same or different make,
  3. heymisterbill

heymisterbill LawnSite Member

Rebuild is not necessary.
    As with a motorcycle carb your lawn mower carb just got dirty. Just a tiny speck of dirt can clog a jet or passage.
    It is easy to do, just pay attention and put your parts in dishes. After your bolts or screws are removed tap around edges of seam with slight separating pressure until it pops apart, this way you save the possibility of ripping a gasket. (very rare, when done carefully)
    Just take completely apart, Jets, float, ect... spray with carb cleaner and blow all pieces with compressed air.
    Count the # of turns it takes to close your idle jet before you unscrew it and then when you reassemble you know where it was to begin with. !!DO Not screw in tight!!
    I just cleaned mine up, runs great. Same motor as yours but this one sat for years and the fuel inlet was packed with dirt.
    Only takes an hour or less.
  4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly if your considering an engine rebuild I would just purchase a new engine. I got a price from the dealer for that engine at $725. Not bad. You will probably spend that much if you get the block bored, machined, or checked out. Plus all your parts. Then there is always the chance of something not being put back together right. Then your back at square one.