Kaw FH680V flooding out

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, May 15, 2008.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay so I got a 23hp Kawasaki FH680V on my Tiger cub. It does not have the nice donaldson air cleaner on it, just the regular old stock one. Which I have heard those suck at best. Anyways, I will be just cruising along a lawn, when it will bog down and start missing real hard, shoot some black smoke and die. I take the air cleaner off, the card is full of gas. Dry it out, get it going and goes fine. Sometimes it will last for a day or 2, sometimes within another 5 minutes. Airfilter is clean and new, so is the fuel filter. I took the carb off, cleaned out the whole thing including the float assembly and what not. Put it together and ran fine, but still doing it. I dont get what the heck is wrong, but starting to irritate the heck out of me. Any help will be appreciated!!:waving:

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

If you're sure it's not carb related .....

What you're trying to say is the air filter gets soaked with gas. Likely the intake valve is not closing properly.

Check valve clearance, particularly intake and make sure they move freely. Also take out the pushrods and make sure they're dead straight by rolling them on a piece of glass or something. Then there's the seating, not sure if this can be checked with a compression test or must one take the head off.

3. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

How many hours are on the engine?

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

No gas gets to the air filter at all. Just fills up the choke area on the carb so it cannot get any more air in. The engine has prolly 150 hours on it as of now. It isnt even a 2 year old engine

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Anyone??:confused:

6. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

check the needle and seat. if you've done that and they look good see if that carb has an external vent line. i've seen them get clogged and make the carb flood but usually it makes the engine run lean.

if that doesn't work, order a new needle. hopefully that fixes it because the seats on most kawi carbs are not replaceable and the carbs are big $$$.

7. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

sounds like a float needle is sticking or needs a justing.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks guys, I will check into that:waving: It ran perfectly today, not one issue. Gives me a good project for this weekend, lol:)

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Okay, so I cant figure jack shyt out on this stupid thing to save my life. A stick of dynamite could be the next step.....:laugh: Anyone have any other idea????:confused: PLEASE!!!!!!!!

10. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

Ok the next things to check on my list is the valves and muffler to see if it's bad I had a 19 that had a bad muffler and caused all problems it wasn't till i fixed everything that i found out that was it.