1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kaw hard to start cold.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by casey, Sep 1, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

15 twin Kaw takes 5 to 10 hard pulls to start cold. About 400hrs. on it. Runs, & starts perfectly after the morning cold start. Problem seems to be getting worse. Changed plug. Any other suggestions?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

What are the temps in the morning? Could the oil be to thick due to colder temps?

Check to see if the choke is closing all the way.
  3. casey

casey Guest

Temps arn't low enough to thicken oil. I think it's a choke problem but seems to be closing just by looking at the cable. Is there some way of manually priming the engine. If it only happens on a cold start it has to be a choke problem?
  4. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Mine was the ignitor(sp). $45.00.
  5. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

make sure it is choking all the way. if it is, try some starting fluid.:blob3:
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Many of the chokes on Kawis don't close all the way. Push it all the way to choke and then find the metal rod for the choke and see if you can still move it farther. A mechanic at the JD shop told me to slightly bend the rod to make it close all the way. I did it on both my 12.5 and 14 hp kawis and it fixed them both.
  7. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

I just hold choke rod shut with 1 hand pull w/ other, throttle about half way. Starts 1st pull 99% of the time. Let off as it fires. I have to install manual choke cables, don't care for chokes combined w/ throttle control
  8. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

put the thottle in the choke position,lossen the screw holding the thottle cable then pull the cable until you see the butterfly close and tighten the screw back up wa la all fixed
  9. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Before you rush to surgery!

I had this problem till just a couple of weeks ago.
    Although mine took alot more than 10 measly yanks!LOL

I started letting the engine cool down for a minute or 2 @ lowest throttle. Then shut off the engine.
    The next day, I pull the throttle up to full choke, give a good pull or 2 and it cranks right up now.

Worked for me!

After reading more about what the others have said about making sure the choke is working correctly, I'll havta go back and check mine.

Good Luck!
  10. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i know your engine has limited hours on it but it could also be a valve problem. when pulling the rope slowly can you feel the compression, if so then your ok, but if the rope pulls freely may have a bad valve.T