kaw oil filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nova385, Sep 27, 2002.

1. nova385

nova385 LawnSite Member
    from Mid MI

Was going to change the oil on my 14hp kaw and the Ferris dealer wanted 6.50 for an oil filter!

Look up part# ph4967 2.99 on sale @ WalMart.

Fits a lot of kaw motors. PH4967

I have never seen a post on the filter interchange, just tring to save everyone some cash-
  2. Farmboy

Farmboy LawnSite Member

The dealer that I have been buying kaw filters from lately sells oribinal kawi. filters for $3.85 each.
  3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

If you want a high performance oil filter for the Kawasaki:

K&N HP1003

Cost about $11.00

Because it has a resin-impregnated media it filters down to 10 to 20 microns.

Over 550 lb. burst rate. (Double O.E. Specs)

It has a handy 1" wrench nut for quick and easy removal.

It features an anti-drainback valve which ELIMINATES dry starts and prevents oil from draining back into the crankcase during engine shutdown.

It has a metal leaf spring in it which provides a positive seal between the element and the lid.

Also a Purolator L14476 will replace the OEM filter.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of oil filters will work in place of the original filter. If you do a search for Kawasaki oil filter there are already some enlightening posts including a few about why you don't want to use a Fram on anything. The Kawasaki engine uses the same filter as Toyotas. Make's it easy to find one.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've done my homework in the past about oil filters. They are not all the same quality. OEM's generally are a much higher quality than most aftermarkets. The quality to me is well worth the extra buck or 2 over the others.

In my drag racing circle I saw a Fram oil filter give way on a very very expensive race motor. After thousands of dollars later, the guy was wishing he spent the extra few bucks on an AC Delco.

Yes, do a search. Info is pretty good reading.
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I get the Purelator Pure one for my Kaw's from Advanced Auto. From Oil filter tests, they were one of the very best. I think right behind Mobile. I get them for just under $4 I believe. They have regular Purelator's for 2 something as well.

7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

The regular Purolator number for most of the Kawis is L14476. I don't remember the AC, but you can usually cross it at the parts store. I generally get those or the AC. If it's a good enough filter for my $20,000 GMC, it's good enough for a lawn mower.

I agree about the Fram filters, but have never had trouble attributed to one. It's just that you see enough problems other people encounter, and hope you learned from their misery.

BTW, the OEM Kawi filters around here are nearly $10.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

eslawns wrote:

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons. Because you are crunchy and taste like chicken.

And to think, I was poking one just the other day. Never again. :D