Kaw or Kohler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpp, Mar 16, 2008.

1. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I have always been a Kaw guys myself. But, I have found a walk behind with a Kohler. Any known issues with the Kohler? Give me the pros and cons on both.

Thanks,

JP

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Both have a great track record. Both have produced a few lemons. Kawasaki is generally considered the more advanced engine but there are more Kohlers with high hours than about anything else out there. I have heard it said as a general rule with air cooled you can expect 100 hrs per hp (larger engines) but I'm sure this isn't always the case. But a 25 hp Kohler should last 2500 hrs or more. I think it was a Kohler factory rep that stated this but don't quote me, it could have been another company.

3. jpp

It is an emark 48 in with 15hp kohler on it. He estimates about 400 hours and it is an 06 model.

4. jpp

Thank you,

JP

5. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I have 2 command 15hp kohler's on my wb's one of them is 12 years old and has over 3000 hrs on it. I swear by the engine but I do change the oil every 40 to 50 hrs(full synthetic). My Z mowers and other wb have kawi's and they run great also just seem to be more tempermental. I would get the kohler and flush it out a few times with real thin oil and then run the h-ll out of it.

6. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I have 2 command 15hp kohler's on my wb's one of them is 12 years old and has over 3000 hrs on it. I swear by the engine but I do change the oil every 40 to 50 hrs(full synthetic). My Z mowers and other wb have kawi's and they run great also just seem to be more tempermental. I would get the kohler and flush it out a few times with real thin oil and then run the h-ll out of it.

7. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Are these 15hp engines commercial twin cylinder engines??

I have a 17 courage engine on my Hustler Z. What do you give the live span of these engines??

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Kohler is king in my book. We have yet to have any problems out of them and they have all lasted well over 2000 hours and one had 3200 when we sold the mower a couple years ago to a friend and it is still going on his own personal property.

I sure as H*LL cant say that about the kawasakis we have owned. As a matter of fact we promised ourselfs last year we would never own another kawasaki.

9. kubotab7200

kubotab7200 LawnSite Member
    from Newkirk

i have ran kohler, kawasaki, and briggs i also think kohler the king compared to other engines. if u want an engine that lasts and lasts get a kohler. i would even take a briggs over a kaw they re alot more deppendable, but my favorite is kohler

10. jpp

Thanks for all the replies guys.

JP