Kaw plastic drain plug fix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Since my Kawasaki 17 has a plastic drain plug and I recall a few other people discussing this I contacted my local Kawasaki dealer and got the parts to replace the plastic screw-in plug with a metal valve and adapter. The part numbers from Kawasaki are:

161267003 Valve $17.88
    590717004 Joint $3.08
    670D2016 O Ring $0.80

For those of you who are wondering why I didn't just go to the hardware store and buy these items there is a reason. The joint above has an O ring on the shoulder of it and it is metric threaded. Since the joint is metric threaded then the valve had to be the same way.

2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I go tht esame thing put on my 23 Kaw. It works great and you don't have to lift the engine to spin it on.

3. Richard Martin

Taken it back to the top so everyone sees it.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Richard: I am just wondering why you replaced. Was there something wrong with it or was it just a precautionary measure because it is made of plastic? I have the 17 Kawi on my 52" Scagand like the way the oil drains out! The 14 Kohler I had on my 36 Scag was a pain to drain the oil because it flowed out with such force that it wouldn't flow through the hole on the motor deck. The plastic valve on the Kawi keeps the oil from pouring out so fast and now it drains nicely thru the hole on the motor deck.

Are these replacement parts you mention the same specs as the plastic (i.e. restric oil flow so as to drain nicely) or will the oil flow like a river?

Cutter: Lift the engine? That would deter me from changing oil for sure! ;)

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

something just doesn't sound right about an engine with a plastic drain plug.:(

GEO

6. Richard Martin

Scraper I replaced the plastic drain <b><i>plug</i></b>. Also my motor deck doesn't have a hole for the oil to drain through. I initially asked for the plastic valve like you have but when I found out the metal was available I went with that.

The valve works like a standard faucett. The more you turn it out the faster the oil flows.

7. Scraper

Thanks Richard. I didn't read too closely;'

8. Cutter1

Scraper......You have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. Think aboutthat, who would lift the engine to drain the oil. I was referring to replacing the the oil drain valve/plug. :) The way the engine is mounted, I thought you would have to lift the engine to spin the new valve on, but luckily you don't have to.(clearance) Thats what I meant.

9. Scraper

Cutter: I wasn't taking a jab I was actually kidding thus the reason for the ;)

10. Cutter1

I'll pretend I didn't read that. Its to close to Christmas to get nasty. Plus I don't want Eric to have to edit my thread, I know how busy he is plowing.