Kaw trouble, and thats not all

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shady Brook, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Oh boy, it only gets better.

My 12.5 kaw that I did all sorts of work to, will no longer start or run. Ok, I did the sump seal, and gasket, then pulled it apart again to reset the timeing and such. I ran the beast probably for 1.5 hours, making sure all was well. Put her away for a month. Started her, and when she kicked over, it kind of sputtered and ran kind of bad, then I see smoke coming from under the machine. So I shut her down. Pushed the beast up to the garage, and checked under the machine. Looked like alot of oil on the underside, but no apparent leak.

I checked the oil, which showed fine. I pulled the head, checked it over, looked fine, and then reinstalled a new gasket, and put the head back on. Everything looks fine. I tried to start her, but no start. I tipped the machine backward, with the deck up and oil starts pouring rather quickly onto the floor from around the clutch.

Ok, now the majic question, what is the deal. My first thought is the seal is cobbed up, and for some reason the tipping allows the oil to escape onto the floor. It does not leak if not tipped, which I find a bit odd just the same. I could probably drain her in about 10 minutes if I kept her tipped.

If the clutch croaked, say a bad bearing, could this cause the smoke? I would think it possible. Ok, now if the clutch ate it, could it have cause some damage to the shaft, or at least hurt the seal so she would leak as described? Also, if the cluch was bad, would this hinder her starting? It almost acts like the timing is off again, which is impossible since I did not open her up, only removed the head.

Oh boy, I need help!!

My Turf Tiger appears to be leaking hydro fluid too. Glad I found it now, with a couple weeks before season starts.

Thanks fellas
    Jay

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Check the base (sump) for cracks particularly in the area where the camshaft fits into the base. Also grab ahold of the crankshaft and see of there is any slop in it. It should be tight with no movement.

3. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

When the engine is a runnin', that would make friction and burn the oil that's leakin' out. I would think that's where the smoke is coming from. Am I right??????????:blob3:

4. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Yeah, I thought of the smoke and friction thing, but what is making the friction. A crack in the seal would not be enough, that is why I wonder if the bearings went south on the clutch, which maybe bound up, causing damage and friction or something along that line.

Thanks
    Jay

5. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure what's making the friction, It was just a guess. I'll do a little thinkin' on the subject.:)

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Since my post was deleted because I was trying to help a guy with a kawi problem I sent it to your email.

7. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Hoss

Thanks a bunch, I don't see why your post would have been deleted, you were just offering an option for a fella in need, not selling product. I will look into it, and thanks again.

Jay

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The posts were deleted because of something I wrote. I tried as delicately as I could to dance around a rule here but I was busted. It was my fault and my apologies go out to the moderator, 1MajorTom. He does a fine job of moderating under what I am sure are, at times, difficult circumstances.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

No, it was me. I posted something to help Shady and Jodi decided I was trying to sale something.

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quote: . I posted something to help Shady and Jodi decided I was trying to sale something

No, that is not correct. I knew you weren't selling anything. I told you thru e-mail that I removed your post because it was a "plug" for another members for sale item. I'm confident you knew the rules about mentioning for sale items before this thread came along.

I also e-mailed Richard, and even wished him luck in selling his item. Richard is a knowledgeable member here, and if I could let his for sale item stay here, I would. But I have to try and be fair, and show no favoritism.

Shady, I'm all for you getting the help. That's why I'm glad Hoss e-mailed you. If that had been done in the beginning, we wouldn't be sitting here discussing this now.