1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kaw V-Twin stall-out

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Budlow, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Budlow

Budlow LawnSite Member

I have a 425 Deere AWS with a Kawasaki K series V-Twin, approx. 500 hrs.
    Recently it started percolating, coughing out and dying after 20-30 min run time. If you let it cool down it will start again and run until it happens again.
    Troubleshooting assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds heat related. First when it dies check for spark. If the coil is over heating it could be losing fire. Also with all the high heat we have been having here lately the carb could be over heating. The gas boils in the bowl and shuts the engine down. When it dies feel the carb bowl and see how hot it is. Alot of them time this can happen if a heat shield has came loose or fail off. Heat of the muffler an cook a carb if the sheild is missing or damaged. Good luck

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My bet is a bad coil. Kawasaki may make a good engine, but their coils are junk. We keep a big box of extra coils in stock for our Kawasaki customers.
    you might as well replace both when you are in there, even if only one is bad. It is a sure thing the other will also go bad soon.

4. Budlow

Budlow LawnSite Member

Well I changed the plugs, both coils, the fuel filter and a valve cover gasket.
    Still quits after 30 min. run time.
    Help ! I want to avoid the shop labor rates if possible

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check your gas cap vent and the carb. bowl vent !
    If by chance these are not venting properly fuel will not enter the carb. properly and could cause this problem.

6. Budlow

Budlow LawnSite Member

Rob, the gas cap vent appears to be working, I can suck air through it.
    Point me to the carb bowl vent, (it is not obvious to me) if you please
    thanks

7. Restrorob

Post your model and spec. numbers off the engine, Kawasaki has multiple carbs. for some of their engines.

8. ghuffman3

ghuffman3 LawnSite Member

my cub cadet was doing the same thing last week, a buddy asked if i had changed the air filter and i told him it looked brand new. he said that it collects condensation, i thought what the heck it was the least expensive to replace, replaced it and the prefilter and have been smooth running since. i don't know if this helps you, but sometimes we overlook the simplest repairs.

9. Budlow

Budlow LawnSite Member

Rob, sorry for the late reply on #
    FD620D
    A502
    MFR 2/97
    S/N M004253052237
    SKA617U1G2RA

since it has cooled off here wife says she ran today no problems, up until then about 50 min was all she could get, around 30 min when temps in 90's
    thanks for the help

10. Restrorob

I had no idea this was a water cooled engine ! So when you say percolating you are referring to the radiator getting hot and boiling am I right ?
    If so there is a temp. switch that is wired to the ignition to shut it down to prevent it from blowing up.
    Let me know if thats the case and I'll post things for you to check out.