kaw vs vangaurd

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jga, Jan 18, 2002.

1. jga

jga LawnSite Member
    from iowa

I'm not in the business, and was wondering why kawasaki is prefered over vangaurd? Looking at a 21hp from both company's, the features look pretty much the same. And it seem's to me the briggs isn't as cold blooded, and maybe even quieter.

2. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Both are good engines. In my own experience with both brands I find that Kawasaki pays a little more attention to detail and therefore costs a bit more. I feel they are both reliable.

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have both I would give the KAW an edge.

Had problems with the VAN bogging down also leaking gas after cutting the mower off,had too turn fuel off to stop it .l

KAW no problems at all.Runs strong.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Vanguard may very well be the equal of the Kawasaki but the Vanguard has something the Kawasaki doesn't. It's built by a company that has a reputation for making throw away engines.

This is my ranking of currently available gas engines for commercial mower use:

1: Kohler
    2: Kawasaki
    3: Honda (Honda would be higher but it lacks power bite)
    4: Robin
    5: Briggs
    6: Techemseh

5. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

vanguards aren't throw aways ,when they are worn out <any of them > they all become throw aways ,unless you got the skill to rebuild them yourself ,Kohler is a good engine ,once they got the lifter problem solved ,Parts for Kawasaki's are sky high.I would rate those three real close nowadays . and remember ,you can get a lemon with any name on it.

6. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

I prefer a kaw to any other brand out there. I get more hours on a kaw than a kohler or a vanguard. Read my post about synthetic oil and k&n airfilters if you are the type who buys a mower and dont replace it till it is worn out.

7. I like kohler the best but my dealer never gets machines with them on there
    I was happy when we got a dixie chopper that it had a kohler
    Kawi is good but i like buying from an american made and OWNED companey and put togeather here to.
    Briggs is like another post said a trowaway engine companey althouh i think the vanguard is a good motor.
    Athoug briggs is a american companey most of there engines aint put togeather here anymore
    AT least the kawi are put togeater here in tennesse.

8. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I have Vanguards, but would prefer the Kaw to it. Actually Onan is the way to go if you can get it.

9. avercon

Have you ever seen a vetical shaft onan?Ive only seen horizontal shaft onans
    You right the onan is real good i had one on a john deere tractor in michigan for personal mowing and was mowing 5 acres a week from 1988 to 1995 it never had a breakdown.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys, I am also all for "Made in the USA" :blush:

I'm not sure, but I think my LC 27HP Kawi is made in Japan. Unfortunately, USA made isn't available in that HP range.

I used to have an 18hp Onan Horizontal twin flathead on my 318 JD's. Very durable engine.

They DO make vertical shaft Twins. We have a propane powered 36" floor buffer at the supermarket, it is a Vertical. No hint at what HP it is, but it looks to be about the same size as my old Horizontal Onans, just turned up on end!