Kawa 19hp engine (Help)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by garyslawn, Mar 19, 2003.

1. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

The engine has 1200 hours,has always smoked occasionally when started. Now it wants to fill the muffler with oil and if you leave it set a couple of weeks and start it , it blows oil out passed the oil filter gasket. I plan to put rings in it. Here is my problem I started a different mower yesterday (new 15 hours, sat all winter) oil has leaked out of it and it had blow by when started. Any ideas why?

2. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

As far as the engine with the the oil in the muffler, I would try doing a leak down test and check that your crankcase breather is working correctly. The engine that sat all winter is very typical. If you had a little to much oil in the engine or it sat at a slight angle with the cylinder pointed down, the oil will naturally migrate past the piston and rings over time. When you started it, that oil got pushed out and it should have run fine. Always change your oil after a machine has sat all winter, condensation builds up inside the engine as it sits over the winter.

3. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Mr.Wrench; Thank you for your help. A small engine mechanic told me that the oil filters from discount houses do not have by pass valves in them and I should buy original Kawa filters. Any truth to that? Thanks again.

4. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

From what all the manufactures techs have told me, and from what I've seen in the field, I highly recommend using the OEM filters if you have access to them. Any decent dealership will stock all the OEM filters for the equipment that they sell. It is true though that some aftermarket replacement filters don't have the OEM backflow valves. I always tell my regular landscape customers not to use aftermarket parts. In the long run it costs more.