1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawa 23hp for Lazer Z

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Tvov, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I don't know if my previous thread got through yesterday or not, because I ran into a "server too busy" message. Anyway....

I checked the Exmark website, and didn't see that a Kawasaki 23hp air-cooled is available for the Lazer Z, just Kohler? In my experiences with both manufacturers, I prefer Kawasaki. I am looking at buying a 60" Lazer Z this spring, can I get the 23hp Kawa for it?

(If this is a duplicate thread, just delete it.)
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey Tvov,

Thanks for the post. If you're looking for a standard air-cooled Lazer for '03, you'll have to go with a Kohler engine. You're probably asking yourself, "Why would Exmark drop Kawasaki engines in favor of the Kohlers?" That's a good question. We used to carry the 25-hp Kohler engines, but this year Kohler came out with a 27-hp engine. This created a pricing dilemma.

Last year the MSRP on a 60" Lazer Z with a 25-hp Kaw. was $8699. This year the MSRP on a 60" Lazer Z with the 27-hp Kohler is $8699. Why would anyone pay the same price for a mower with 2 less HP? I love Kawasaki, but I would go with the air-cooled Kohler. For the money, it's a pretty good buy.

If you want a less expensive Lazer Z, you could go with the 20-hp Kohler or 23-hp Kohler. We could have kept the 23-hp Kaw, but the MSRP on the 23-hp Kohler is $8399. Adding the Kawasaki engine usually raises the price by $100 or $200. This would mean that the MSRP on the 23-hp Kaw. would be around $8499 or $8599. Again, this is close too the price of the 27-hp Kohler, and now you're talking about a 4 HP difference.

We haven't offered the 23-hp Kaw. on a full-sized Lazer Z since '01. In '02, we offered the Lazer Z with a 25-hp Kaw. You may be able to find a leftover Lazer Z with a 25-hp Kaw., but I doubt that you will find one with a 23-hp Kaw. on it.

Give a Kohler a try. If you absolutely want the Kawasaki engine, you still have the 23-hp Kaw on the compact Lazer Z HP, or you can step up to the liquid-cooled 27, which is my favorite Kawasaki engine. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Thanks, from what you describe, I can understand your reasoning.
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Like yourself, I too was a Kawi fan. But not recently. IF you haven't given Kohler a try since 2000, you'll be happy with their product.

Heaven knows the older Kohler had their issues, but for the past 3 years, we've NEVER been down 1 minute with our Kohlers and the engine life has been fantastic.
  5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I would pay more for a 23 hp Kawasaki than a 27 hp Kohler. NO if ands or butts
  6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I would pay $0 for a 23hp Kawasaki.

We've had 2 fail.
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Curious what kind of problems people are having with the Kohlers that makes them prefer Kawasakis so much? I've used Kohlers a lot (by chance not design) over 10 years and on 5 different units I've never had one wear out, and only one small failure on a unit I bought used 7 years ago (ignition needed replacing).