Kawa 31 HP - "Is she a gas hog"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by WilsonBoud, Sep 23, 2013.

1. stanrav

stanrav LawnSite Member

---- I have 22 acres of field grass that I cut four or five times a year with finish mowers, so most of the time it's 12 - 18" tall when I cut it. I have a 2007 JD 777 with the Kawa 27 hp liquid cooled gasoline engine and 72" deck. I feed it all the ground speed it will take without bogging down, so maximum power consumption about 95% of the time on this mow and I consume 1.6 gal. / hr.. I also have a new (2013) JD 2032R CUT with a 32 hp yanmar diesel and 72" MMM. - Same thing regarding using most of the power available most of the time on this same job, but with 5 additional hp over the 777 it takes more to bog it down, as the diesel just powers through about anything. - I use 1.1 gal. / hr.. . . . my next piece of large capacity finish mowing equipment is going to be a diesel powered zero turn with a 72" deck, not sure what color yet, but will consider the Scag with a Cat. diesel.

Hope this helps.

2. stanrav

stanrav LawnSite Member

----I have 22 acres of field grass that I cut four or five times a year with finish mowers, so most of the time it's 12 - 18" tall when I cut it. I have a 2007 JD 777 with the Kawa 27 hp liquid cooled gasoline engine and 72" deck. I feed it all the ground speed it will take without bogging down, so maximum power consumption about 95% of the time on this mow and I consume 1.6 gal. / hr.. I also have a new (2013) JD 2032R CUT with a 32 hp yanmar diesel and 72" MMM. - Same thing regarding using most of the power available most of the time on this same job, but with 5 additional hp over the 777 it takes more to bog it down, as the diesel just powers through about anything. - I use 1.1 gal. / hr.. . . . my next piece of large capacity finish mowing equipment is going to be a diesel powered zero turn with a 72" deck, not sure what color yet, but will consider the Scag with a Cat. diesel.

Hope this helps.